Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,523   Posts: 1,543,813   Online: 758

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not too harsh at all. You gave great advice. Thanks.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anyone in the US have any comments on insurance over here?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From the Canadian (common-law provinces) perspective, I would agree with Solarize, except I would re-order the priorities:
    1) Public liability (in case someone should get injured (or something broken) while you work);
    2) Professional indemnity (in case you should you fail to provide the services contracted) and
    3) Equipment insurance.

I would also check my auto insurance, to make sure it covers you when you are working commercially.

Experience with issues like insurance is one good reason to investigate professional photographers' associations.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the very, very beginning trying this out to see if it will work for me with family, freinds, and freinds of freinds, should I go get insurence now?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    From the Canadian (common-law provinces) perspective, I would agree with Solarize, except I would re-order the priorities:
    1) Public liability (in case someone should get injured (or something broken) while you work);
    2) Professional indemnity (in case you should you fail to provide the services contracted) and
    3) Equipment insurance.

I would also check my auto insurance, to make sure it covers you when you are working commercially.

Experience with issues like insurance is one good reason to investigate professional photographers' associations.
    Oh for sure. I didn't mean to imply order of importance in my list, although it did read like it. Public liability should be mandatory and the first thing you get.
    Starting out, you could forgo professional indemnity. For weddings, commercial and events not a chance, but for portraits which can be repeated, you could do without initially.
    Equipment insurance... well are you willing to risk it? Make sure you have backups. I work with at least 3 camera bodies.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Regarding pricing:

I work only in B&W, almost entirely medium format, and I use available light only, all on location. That means extremely minimal overhead and equipment costs. My base session fee for the Denver metro area is $350US, and 8x10 fiber prints start at $150 unframed. I also sell coffee table books (those are a hybrid process) for $1500 each. My average sale is typically a combination of prints and books, and generally come in around $2500 - $5000, not usually less but sometimes more.

Remember the tricky issues of perceived value. Charge too little, and your work will be seen as cheap.

- CJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is it possible to have them sign some kind of contract that says that I am not resposable for anything that could happen to them or is insurance still needed?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    Is it possible to have them sign some kind of contract that says that I am not resposable for anything that could happen to them or is insurance still needed?
    Who are you going to get to sign your contract (known as a waiver)?

Using weddings as an example, and a poorly placed and easily tripped over lighting cord as a further example, insurance protects you from claims from anyone - friends, relatives, caterers, flower delivery persons, wedding party, mothers of the bride! - whereas your contract will only protect you from claims from the person(s) signing the contract, and then only if the contract is carefully prepared, and if the party signing the contract is one who is likely to be bound by its provisions (adult, competent, and someone who both benefits from the contract, and who can be shown to have knowingly and voluntarily agreed to the restriction of rights provided for in the contract).

Some of this is jurisdiction specific (i.e. it applies here, but maybe not fully where you are) but it would be unwise to assume that it wouldn't apply to you.

My suggestion would be that you speak with an insurance broker in your area who is familiar with commercial insurance for service based industries. It may be that the broker who supplies you with insurance for your car and your residence may also be able to help you with what you need.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    That depends.

Wording of contract.
    Laws of your state.

If your concerned, and I would be, pay a good attorney to draft one for you.

Cheaper boiler plate contract available on line or at a stationary store, you won't know until you need the protection, if it works.

This is one of the cost of doing business.

Good Luck.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is all so new to me as I am not even of age yet. I'll have to look into the insurence end. I have a freind who just had a contract made up by an attorney and I'll talk to them about it. MattKing-The person that would sign a waiver would be the person having their portrait taken. I have no plan to do weddings or large functions. Simply outdoor portraits for now.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin