Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,978   Online: 903

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rollei Portraiture Hints

1. Hints that work for some folks are useless for others !

2. A Rollei is super quiet and truly instantaneous. It is at it's best with emotional intimacy.

3. The square format encourages you to place your subject within a greater context.

4. Today's films are so incredibly good that there is no limit to what you can achieve.

Have fun.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    I guess I just need to get my ass out of the computer and off into the field
    That goes for all of us.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I develop these photographs to give them to people, when an 8x10 is ordered is is more standard to print the full frame on the 8x10 leaving a boarder around it, crop in the darkroom to fit the page or cut the square out after?
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kee-ripes, man!

IMNSHO, you really need to quit sweating the small stuff, and attack the core of the matter: Learn how to work with light. Learn how to work with people. Learn how to work with your camera/s. Learn how to express yourself with visual language.

It does you no good whatsoever to treat the minute details such as print sizes with as much respect and attention as you are treating them until you can work with light well, work with people well, work with your camera/s well, and gain a good head of steam toward crossing (demolishing?) the line between technique and concept. Being able to do those things is the only thing that will define you as a photographer (and sell your photos).

The things that matter - that really matter most for you - are far more basic that you are making it seem.

So, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, and forget anyone else and what they think. That is the key. Have some cajones!!! Barrel through it! Go at it! Screw up! JUST DO IT. The only way you will do OK in your endeavor is to just start practicing and doing what you can with what you have, and letting go of your insecurities about what other people think. FUCK 'EM. Just shoot, and judge, and you will learn most of what you need to learn as far as the technical things go. You will either find your own answers, or you will suck. It's as simple as that. Photography is best learned via experimentation and trial and error...and you have to be OK with sucking to get there.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 06-29-2010 at 04:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey, take it easy, he is asking questions, nothing wrong with that.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've shot portraits with a Rolleiflex with a 75 f3.5 lens with great success both indoors and outside.

"Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    When I develop these photographs to give them to people, when an 8x10 is ordered is is more standard to print the full frame on the 8x10 leaving a boarder around it, crop in the darkroom to fit the page or cut the square out after?
    When in doubt refer to your post #30
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    2F/2F...That post put a smile on my face .....I actually did get some of the family out into the yard this afternoon to experiment and I had a great time. It's a work in progress.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Come to think of it many of the Worlds most famous photographers became legends photographing people with Rolleiflexes.
    Ben

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    http://www.pyke-eye.com/main

Anyone who subscribes to the New Yorker gets to see occasional new portrait work by Steve Pyke on his old Rollei GX

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin