Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,483,009   Online: 771

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rolleiflex and Portraits

Hi Guys- I am wondering if anyone out there uses the Rolleiflex often for portraits. It seems to me like it would be great but the lens could be longer? Any thought? I will be doing outdoor and possibly some studio.

Patrick
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A properly exposed image on medium speed 120 film gives you lots of scope to crop your portrait shot into any shape you like. Or you could find yourself a Tele Rollei with its 135 mm (I think) taking lens, use a Mamiya TLR with a 150 mm lens (or thereabouts) or find a Rollei SL66 and 150 mm lens. The first option is the most practical. Many great portraits have been done on Rollei TLR's.
    Have fun.

Morry Katz, Lethbridge, Canada

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My current Rollei is the standard lens....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Portraits can be shot with a lens of any focal length. It is up to you to decide what tools work best to achieve the desired image to express your concept. If the lens is too short for what you want, then the lens is too short. I would not say that it is too short in general, however. Most of my favorite portraiture was shot with normal to medium-wide lenses. If you want to do commercial head shots or glamor photography specifically, the normal lens might give you effects that you are not looking for with many models in tight compositions...but for general-purpose portraiture it is just fine.

FWIW, most of my favorite landscape shots are also either shot with normal lenses, or short or long lenses that are just a moderate distance from a normal lens. Perhaps 35 - 70, speaking in 35mm terms.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 06-27-2010 at 06:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If your taking portraits from the waste up, you probably will be OK. Any closer, may notice distortions, like the nose being out of proportions.

And, you have enough negative that shooting from a little bit farther, then cropping, will work fine.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Rolleiflex is a great portrait camera.
    So is a Tele Rolleiflex. I use both and
    love both.
    Sanders McNew
    My Flickr stream

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Go to williamcoupon.com....he has made a career out of shooting portraits with a Rolleiflex.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have done a few portraits with my Rolleiflex and the shots came out excellent.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Nutter View Post
    Go to williamcoupon.com....he has made a career out of shooting portraits with a Rolleiflex.

YES!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Nutter View Post
    I would love to do this....I would attempt to be a photographer professionally if I knew I would be able to do it on film and develop it myself.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin