Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,778   Online: 1128

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

It's film related.

Even if it was shot with my digi.....but it counts. self portrait with 35mm toys

self timer 10-sec on a Rebel XTi 18-55mm non IS kit lens with an external shutter trigger.....I would stand where I wanted to be in the image hit the trigger once to set focus then all the way in to set the timer.

I want to do this in film (duh because it will look 157 times better and my film lenses own the shit out of anything for my Canon outside of an L-series) but have absolutely no clue how the hell I'm going to pull it off unless I put something where I'm going to be set the focus to it stand in its place and the camera does all the work.

suggestions? other than shoot it in film next time lol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mirrors are your friend
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    For focus? Set up the shot, figure out where you want to stand, place the tripod without the camera, stand where you want to stand and then focus on the tripod, your camera is now focused for that distance and you can set it on the tripod. I use that reverse focus trick when I hand my camera to people to take my photo with it, I remind them to NOT change the focus as I have already set it for them. If you don't trust yourself to not bump the focus, you can stand something where you want to stand and focus on it. Lastly, you can use the distance ring on the lens to set focus and then use a tape measure to get into position, that is still how they focus film movie cameras, and why actors have to hit their "mark" it is the focus point. When using this last method if you want shallow dof, you need to remember that focus is to the film plane indicated on the camera by something that looks like this ---O---.

As for snapping the shot, if your camera will accept a cable release, (I'm not familiar with your particular Nikon) you can use a squeeze bulb with your foot, or a screw on timer, or the Kodak cable and timer contraption. I use the Kodak timer and cable set up and it does work quite well. Or do you have a built in timer?

Good luck, let us know what worked for you.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin