Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,570   Online: 801

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Printing PROOF?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Printing PROOF?

Hi Guys-
    I have been working on some portraiture for a while and it has all been people that have been ever so kind enough to volunteer to have me photograph them in return for the images. SO...it has come to my first paid session and color was requested so it's on its way off to the lab. I was wondering if any of you guys have PROOF printed across the proof. I know that I have seen some proof that have been hole punched to form the word proof and some stamped proof and others printed on the photo. Regardless, I was wondering if any of you guys do it. I am seriously considering printing proof across the photos...What do you think?

Thanks

Patrick
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As a customer, I would think: 'It takes one to know one'.

You need to have a little trust in your customers if you expect the same from them.

What could be worse than them steeling your image and showing it around?
    Yes, them not liking it! And, anything more than your signature would do that for me.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's one of the reasons I have thought not to do it. Idk if it would make me very happy if I were the customer. I am looking to make just a bit of money here so if I include the proofs as prints, not saying proof on them, wouldn't it be very possible that they wouldn't want any more prints?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Copyright Patrick ______" would be a better idea.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Patrick, I think it depends on the type of client. I used to shoot portraits for a living and none of my clients would have dreamt of getting images copied, but the middle to lower end of the market is different now. I made my money mainly on the fees, rather than loading the print prices. I still do the same with commercial work.

Even before digital images were copied, Kodak had a direct copy colour print process that Pro labs offered, many turned a blind eye to copyright or made the customer sign a waiver to protect themselves (the lab).

Ian

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have heard of things that only show PROOF when scanned or in bright light, this way it isn't distracting, but still there to protect you. I have never seen it so it could just be an urban myth. I know I have seen peoples photo albums with proofs that said proof on them in the pages.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    That's one of the reasons I have thought not to do it. Idk if it would make me very happy if I were the customer. I am looking to make just a bit of money here so if I include the proofs as prints, not saying proof on them, wouldn't it be very possible that they wouldn't want any more prints?
    Yes - so that is why you need to sell them on the benefits of more and bigger prints. IMHO, showing them examples of well printed and spotted enlargements, placed in attractive mounts, frames or albums, is the most effective sales tool in that regard.

Success in the business of photography depends as much or more on your marketing skills as it does on your photographic skills.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All right. That's enough to have convinced me to think about it. I think I'll stick with the Copyright printing. I think I might revisit my fees if it is to include proofs that are worth keeping.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt- I have figured that out already The bigger prints are much more wanted then smaller. I am working on finishing up a portfolio book.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    All right. That's enough to have convinced me to think about it. I think I'll stick with the Copyright printing. I think I might revisit my fees if it is to include proofs that are worth keeping.
    You want your proofs to be as good as possible. People will use the proofs to determine what they will order. They are also likely to show them to others (if we are talking about things like family portraits).

If you are worried, consider packaging them with orders - i.e. if you order an 8x10 you may keep the proofs as well. Or, even better, include an 8x10 and the proofs in your up-front fee.
    Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin