Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,692   Posts: 1,482,404   Online: 721

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Re-visiting a sitting fee.

Hi Guys-
    I had a thread going before but it ended up being long and drawn out and I'll try to focus this more . I am getting into portraits and wondering what you would charge for a session with one roll of 120 in the 645 format with a set of color proofs. I am now thinking around $35-45 so I was looking for a little input. Thanks,

Patrick
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What prices are you considering for further prints?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's up in the air. Most likely $10-15 per 8x10, $7 for 5x7, $25 for 11x14 or something similar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Patrick:

Don't you think that $75.00 for a sitting, a set of proofs and two 8 x 10 enlargements is way too low?

If you want a low entry-point price, how about something like $125.00 for a sitting and an 8 x 10?

Plus they get to keep the proofs for an additional $25.00.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok well maybe I'll start with $75 for 15 proof and an 8x10 enlargement?

Shooter
    35mm
    Do you think you are only worth 35 to 45? If you think you are better than that then charge what you think you are worth. I wouldn't put a lens on my camera for 45.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I say this with no knowledge of Patrick's skill levels or intended market....

In my area, most portrait photographers do digital. But besides that.... sitting fee range from zero to over a thousand. Printing costs range from 14.95 for a package of several sheets to much MUCH more. Consumer oriented places tends to be inexpensive but quality and skill of the photographer sort of matches the price. More "art" oriented places charge premium but their skill and results support them.

ME, I welcome the opportunity to take photograph and imporve my skills, so I do it from absolutely zero to just to cover costs. Of course, I have a day job, and photography isn't my source of income. At my skill level, I am not taking jobs away from professionals, as these people won't pay to get what I give them done in the first place.

I am not exactly answering the original question, but I am not sure if it's really answerable.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's what I charged in the 1970's, it's far too low. You've got transport and admin costs to add in, an hours shoot takes roughly 3 hours in planning, travel, admin, so $75 is not really covering costs.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    I've been involved professionally in business advisory matters, and I would always suggest to anyone starting a new business not to undervalue their skills in working out their charges (assuming, of course, they are capable of doing a good job!).

Just because you enjoy the work, perhaps as an extension and contribution to your hobby, remember that, if you really are good, you will hopefully get further work by recommendation, most especially if your prices are "cheap". And it is then very difficult to increase those prices if you have pitched them too low.....

Also a professional photographer (as any business) will need to factor into his prices all the overheads of a business....rent, lighting and heating of premises,
    office costs, amortisation of equipment, etc., etc., which are all there and have to be paid for before a single photo is sold...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    What is your cost of developing negs? Contact sheet? Basic set of prints for viewing? Are you doing all of this yourself or being sent out? In NYC that would be somewhere around 20-25$. Cost of film itself 5$ I would also have thenegs scanned at time of developing so this also might increase price. All this done and you are at 25-30$. Now your time? If they are coming to you 2 hours if I was going to them 3hrs. I am not sure what the going rate is where you are but I would think that charging 25-35 an hour for your time would be reasonable.
    Arthur

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin