Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,987   Posts: 1,524,044   Online: 969

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Help me to negotiate a tricky family portrait issue

Next year my Grandfather turns 90, two years later my Grandmother will turn 90. In between these two big events they will celebrate their 70th wedding anniversary. I'm going to produce a photo book of informal family portraits to present to them - probably on their anniversary. I'm going to shoot them in colour and print them myself, possibly I'll attempt to bind the prints or at least pay someone to do that.

I have an issue which threatens to de-rail all of this.

Last year one of my cousins split from his long-term partner (they were unmarried but had been together for over ten years and had two kids) and married another woman within a few months. It was messy and for a while there was a restraining order to stop him and his new wife from seeing the kids - don't know why but the subject is tricky in our family (lots of shaking of heads, mutterings about it all being so sad, etc).

How can I deal with this? I have a situation where my cousin's wife is a somewhat taboo subject, his kids cannot be with her and their mother is hostile to him and is sort of still a family member but not quite (if you get my meaning).

I wanted to do group and individual pictures and throw the best into a nice collection of generally fun snaps. I can shoot my cousin with his wife - but what of his kids? I can't do a group with all of them. Should I include his ex partner? I think I'll be damned if I do and damned if I don't. Should I shoot the kids by themselves and leave out their mother?

These questions have been dogging me for weeks and I'm starting to wonder if it's even worth embarking on this project such is the risk of being caught in the choppy waters of family fallouts.

Any ideas appreciated!
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IMHO, if they have problems, they can figure them out. It is not your responsibility, nor should it be. Just tell them what you want to do, and let them decide what to do about the pix. You are trying to do something nice for the family. Just do the best you can without getting caught up in all the b.s. I am sure your efforts will be appreciated regardless of the details.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I understand your predicament, and of course it will be very hard to get a group picture, but what you are doing is not something for the moment but an album for time to come.
    I would put everyone in the album, but perhaps on different pages if it is that sensitive. Your album is for future generations, and old feuds will be history by then.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Go digital, and do head transplants where necessary, as I saw done on the front cover photo in a recent documentary about the production of the "all important" September issue of Vogue...

That way, you'll be avoiding the hassle...

On a more serious note: Personally, I think most people make the best photos when they feel comfortable with a situation, and I certainly do. So, if you're not feeling good about the whole thing, than abandoning the project might not be a bad thing. Hire an outside professional to do the job. At least he will not be burdened with all the personal feelings you have, and is less likely to get "blamed" if attempting to put people together that don't get on well...
    Last edited by Marco B; 09-14-2010 at 04:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Go ahead and approach the parties and explain your plan, be sincere but make it clear you are willing to accomodate whatever they stipulate to. Dont forget to offer portraits of the kids to the mother(gratis, of course). You could offer to photo the kids seperatly and give them their own page in the album. It wouldn't hurt to offer copies of all the family to them as well, as it is important for the children to know who their family is, and be able to put faces with names.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm with 2F and ralnphot.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I say photograph the father of the children with the father, if he's now allowed to be with the kids again. then a separate photo of the mother with the children, then the father with the new wife, no kids. Don't put the exes together in the same photo, as they may still want to tear each others' eyes out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 36cm2 View Post
    I'm with 2F and ralnphot.
    x2
    im empty, good luck

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd not be confident that you can leave it up to the warring parties to solve this on their own. It sounds like feelings are too raw.

Therefore, I'd take a picture of your cousin and his children, and put that in the book. Then a picture of the cousin and his wife, and give that to them. Then a picture of the children, with or without their mother, as she chooses, and give that to their mother. But I like taking pictures.

-Laura

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Too bad things like this get in the way of family. When those lovely folks who are celebrating 70 years together are dead and gone and no photographs are made what will everyone have? Hard feeling to remember? I would try to do all the groups you mention. Sometimes grownups can act like children. If you can't make pictures of them together, get them separately. You can scan the negs and put the separate people/groups together in photoshop. If you're not comfortable gettting this task accomplished, serving as a referee, find someone to help you; you may need a bad cop and a good cop to get things in order. I've had a few of these but I have worked them out.
    Bill Clark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin