Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,674   Posts: 1,481,896   Online: 1162

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bald People

Shooter
    35mm

Bald People

Baldness isn't what it used to be. Shaved or close-cropped hair is fashionable, many men exploit lack of hair as a distinguishing feature. This is partly because of the way that everyone is growing up much later - what our parents did in their mid-20s, we do in our mid-30s. We're delaying getting old, but our hair follicles aren't listening. Hence, baldness is becoming a more 'youthful' thing.

If you're a man.

This is to ask about shooting techniques for women who are thin on top. I've got some relatives in their 90s who are thin and are also a little uncomfortable with it. I don't like the idea of lowering the camera and pointing up a little as it will accentuate the skin under the chin and make the subject look like they've got a wattle. I suppose I'll need to play with positioning the flash. How do more experienced shooters deal with bald subjects?
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Steve,

How about using a spotlight for portraiture? Just light their face and not the baldness nor wattle. Here's a great shot by Albert Watson.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1584&bih=938

This might point you in the right direction. There's also the work of a famous Hollywood photographer George Hurell that shoots with spotlights too.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CDIQ9QEwBA

Best,

Don

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Don,

Thanks, that could work. I'm going to be doing this in colour, but I think it could work just the same (perhaps with a flash snoot).
    Steve.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Be careful using such a small light source (relative to the subject) you may accentuate wrinkles and end up in the doghouse for completely different reasons - a larger, softer, diffused light might be a better bet. I know it's talking in stereotypes but hard light is great if you want to accentuate the character (ie wrinkle) of an elderly male sitter but less flattering to women as they get older. Subtly persuading them to wear a hat might be a good idea - similarly, a shawl is great for covering up those bingo wings...

Regards
    Jerry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So true. Wrinkles are sometime accentuated by light that is off to the side. Frontal lighting will be more flattering when it comes to harsher light. As for not accentuating wattle, goboing light on the chin with Mathews dots and fingers could also work.

http://setshop.com/grip-73/m.s.e.-(m...)/dots-fingers

I'm not telling you to give your portraits clients the finger

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry lebens View Post
    Subtly persuading them to wear a hat might be a good idea - similarly, a shawl is great for covering up those bingo wings...

Regards
    Jerry
    What the heck is a bingo wing?

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dan, actually, that's the flabby skin on the bottoms of their upper arms that a lot of older people have....
    Last edited by Andrew Moxom; 10-28-2010 at 01:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Well cats have Jungle Pouches When they get old

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Moxom View Post
    Dan, actually, that's the flabby skin on the bottoms of their upper arms that a lot of older people have....
    A Jungle Pouch is that sagging flap of skin on a cat's belly. All things sag when they get old.

Shooter
    35mm
    I did a quick trawl around the web looking for interesting lighting and posing positions for elderly women and found very little. Seems most photographers are shooting young girls and anyone over 30 is 'elderly' and in need of diffusion. Perhaps there's a business opening here.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good information since I'm a bald headed geezer!

Jeff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin