Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,081   Online: 864

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Portrait and lens on 4x5 with imagon?

Hi,
    I am starting with shooting portraits on 4x5 on location from people in their environment. Probably waistlevel and head shots.

Did anyone use a imagon to get this?
    I do not want to get the soft focus effect, but have the 250mm lens which i think is in the right length for it. So I want to use it open,no disks

Shooter
    Large Format
    hi willie jan

from what i remember ( i might be wrong ) the imagon
    is a single cell lens so you might have some softness
    due to spherical aberration just the same ...

it sounds like a great project!

- john

Shooter
    Large Format
    You could look at this
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...light=meniscus
    If you stop down you can mitigate the effect of the soft focus, but your shutter probably does not have fstops marked ( assuming there is a shutter)
    If no shutter then just use the discs with the peripheral holes closed.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Bill,
    it is inside a copal 3 shutter and I created my own f marks by measuring light with a special light meter. So that would not be a problem.

That is a very nice page you found for me. Thanks!

I am going to take portraits of windmill operators here in my province in there mill and eventually want to make a book out of it.
    My wife is also a mill operator, so it's a little step towards thats....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie Jan View Post
    Bill,
    it is inside a copal 3 shutter and I created my own f marks by measuring light with a special light meter. So that would not be a problem.

That is a very nice page you found for me. Thanks!

I am going to take portraits of windmill operators here in my province in there mill and eventually want to make a book out of it.
    My wife is also a mill operator, so it's a little step towards thats....
    Now there is an interesting post:
    1. a wife, a mill and an Imagon. You are 1/2 way to making Art.
    2. I am interested in your special meter; can you elaborate on that and the method to measure fstops.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    2. I am interested in your special meter; can you elaborate on that and the method to measure fstops.
    +!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've found it easier to use a Fujinon SF. It is marked in "regular" aperture markings. I generally use it with the diffusion disks, but sometimes without. I think it might be a "better" regular lens than the Imagon when used as a non-soft-focus lens due to its more sophisticated design.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just make sure that you have enough bellows extension. 12" is not enough for portraits with an imagon 250 (looked like a perfect combination to me for use on my Wista 45).
    It is however a very nice lens for portraits on an 8x10.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    What I did was putting a 210 5.6 lens on a slideviewer with that white plastic where light comes through. Above it i made a holder from paper where i put my gossen f2 light meter in precisely above the center of the lens. With that i measured the light at 5.6 8 11 etc... The F2 goes until /10 of a stop.
    Next i put the imagon, placed the paper holder above it and moved the diafragm until my meter gave the same value at 5.6 as the other lens. So that was 5.6 I marked it and worked the same at 8,11 etc...

For all lenses the diafragm has the same width at for example 5.6.

What I also did in the past was printing a paper with a black circle that has the width of the 5.6,8,11 etc.. opening. Next put it on the slideviewer, place the shutter without lens onto it and close the diafragm until it has the same opening as the black spot on the paper.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie Jan View Post
    What I did was putting a 210 5.6 lens on a slideviewer with that white plastic where light comes through. Above it i made a holder from paper where i put my gossen f2 light meter in precisely above the center of the lens. With that i measured the light at 5.6 8 11 etc... The F2 goes until /10 of a stop.
    Next i put the imagon, placed the paper holder above it and moved the diafragm until my meter gave the same value at 5.6 as the other lens. So that was 5.6 I marked it and worked the same at 8,11 etc...

For all lenses the diafragm has the same width at for example 5.6.

What I also did in the past was printing a paper with a black circle that has the width of the 5.6,8,11 etc.. opening. Next put it on the slideviewer, place the shutter without lens onto it and close the diafragm until it has the same opening as the black spot on the paper.
    very interesting and practical

Regards
    Bill

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin