Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,689   Posts: 1,482,369   Online: 774

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self, dark.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Self, dark.

For my first image post here at APUG I'll go with a self-portrait I shot when some new tools arrived from my dear friend the UPS man.

Mamiya C3, 80/2.8 (chrome), Delta 100 in DD-X. Lit by an Einstein 640 shot through a diffused 28" beauty dish about a foot and some change from my head. Scanned on a Canoscan 8800F. When I finish my darkroom this week I intend to see how this enlarges.

I shot this as part of a series to illustrate to a friend how to achieve "dramatic" light falloff. I got into inverse square law talk, and math, and she short-circuited. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very nicely done! Excellent self-portrait, my favorite type of lighting. Welcome to the fold, you should get along very well here.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very well done. Perfect example of a nice low-key image, b/w is perfect for the subject as well.
    Canadian Correspondent for the Film Photography Podcast
    A bi-monthly podcast for people who love to shoot film!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Awesome! Love it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A great shot!

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks folks. I'd done it digitally, and then attempted to get the B&W conversion where I wanted but quickly grew frustrated with that and loaded the Mamiya. The Mamiya seldom disappoints. Now, back to building my darkroom (which should be complete by the time I usually eat dinner).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    And the same shot scanned from an 8x10 print from the maiden voyage of my new darkroom! I've posted in the enlarging forum for advice on how to avoid whatever is going on in the bottom right of the print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I dare say I prefer the scan over the print what paper and developer did you use? How long was the exposure time?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The print has gone a long way, thanks to the help I received in this thread: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum41/9...amination.html

The paper is Ilford Multigrade IV RC Pearl, developed in Ilford Multigrade. If I recall, the exposure time was around 16s at f/11 on the print above. It ended up being closer to 32 seconds at f/11 with a #3.5 contrast filter in the final print.

Self, Dark. Final. by Anthony J. Martinez, on Flickr[/QUOTE]

In an unrelated note, I lived in KL in the mid-90's. 11 Lorong Ampang Ulu Tiga was my address!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anthony, that print looks great. I'm just beginning to print too, it's got me hooked!

And hey, you lived in KL in the 90's? Way cool...that's not far from where I live too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin