Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,765   Posts: 1,484,091   Online: 1010

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The pleasures of plain ol' family snapshots

I just had one of those "WOW" printing sessions. I'm a real novice printer, so it's not like I produced The Technically Perfect Print That Glows In The Dark, but I got a good print of an image that people are actually going to look at and care about, and I thought that was cool.

See, we vacation every year at the same place on the Oregon coast, with the same group of families---many of those families are now into the third generation, with the children of people who grew up together growing up together. We drove up this year, so I was able to pack along a pretty serious load of photo gear, including my 5x7 Eastman 2-D, a gigantic moose of a camera in oak and brass, with matching tripod and holders.

I mostly used it for landscapes, but it occurred to me that I should take my 3-year-old son and the gang of kids he plays with, sit them all down in one place, and take a group portrait with the big camera. So I did, and of course people boggled at the camera and giggled at me getting under the darkcloth to focus and all that, and I emerged, squidged a holder in, dry-fired to make sure the settings were sane, pulled the darkslide, said "Try to look like a person!" and shot.

The result is a picture of five little kids and a dog sitting on a staircase, with some motion blur (nobody under voting age can hold still for 1/8 of a second unless they're asleep) and no particularly interesting compositional elements. It ain't art; it's a snapshot, but taking it was loads of fun.

And tonight I got in the darkroom with the negative, and my first test print was dead-on and looked great, at least to the eye of the parent of a subject. I took it out to show to my son, and of course he lit up and identified everyone in the photo and wanted to play with it. Made a second one to send to the grandmother of most of the other kids, at her request. I figure in future years I'll try to do the same thing, and after a while we'll start getting photos of five disreputable-looking teenagers (and probably a dog) sitting on the same staircase, and future descendants can wonder what that was all about.

None of this is the kind of photography we normally talk about on APUG, because People Don't Do Vernacular Photography On Film Any More, much less with a large-format camera and contact prints. But dang, it's fun to do it that way!

I don't have a point. I just wanted to crow about a successful printing session and the fun factor of using the photographic medium as it used to be done. Hey, does anybody know where I can get one of those birdies on the end of a stick to hold up and make the kids smile?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We wanna see the picture!

m
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hear, hear! Score another one for analog! Great story! Creating memories, tradition is where it is at!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Let us see. I share the same sentiments. I have a godchild who I treat like a son, and I must say the best pictures I have taken are the ones of him. I still had a digicam back then, but I used analog for all his pictures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's a great big pat on the back! Now show us the (money) shot.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It was still wet when I posted yesterday, but here it is. Color scan, partially desaturated so that it looks about right on my monitor, lightly sharpened to compensate for the scan, otherwise unmanipulated. (The spot on the girl's hand and the weird smudge on the boy just right of center are there on the print; I'm not sure if they're from the negative or just this print.)

Minutiae: Eastman 2-D 5x7, 210/4.5 Fujinar-SC, Fomapan 100 at EI 50 in PC-TEA, either f/16 or f/11 at 1/8, Fomalux 312, Dektol 1+2.

-NT
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lake kids 2011 scaled.jpg  
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    That's the way to please the whole family!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    thanks nathan ...
    THATS what its all about
    not film and developer combinations
    or alpha rays ..

THIS IS IT !

made my day

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks good. Your little boy had sure grown.

m
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Brilliant! This is what it is all about! Your write up and photo are exactly why analog is so special!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin