Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,516   Online: 853

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    IR film might be interesting.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    http://photos.oregonlive.com/photo-e..._reveal_p.html
    pretty sure all these are shot with red filter. All dark skin.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Tips for photographing tattoo with B&W films

Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    http://photos.oregonlive.com/photo-e..._reveal_p.html
    pretty sure all these are shot with red filter. All dark skin.
    Why do you say red filter? Wouldn't that cause more contrast? These look less contrasty... Or am I confused, I've. Never shot people with any filters only landscapes.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Why do you say red filter? Wouldn't that cause more contrast? These look less contrasty... Or am I confused, I've. Never shot people with any filters only landscapes.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    Red (and other coloured filters used with black and white film) don't really affect contrast, they affect colours.

Speaking in terms of the final, positive print, if you pick the right coloured filter, it will help you differentiate parts of your subject, by emphasizing (lightening) one colour and de-emphasizing (darkening) others.

A red filter will lighten reds and darken blues and greens. So it will lighten dark brown skin and darken blue and green tatoo ink.

In the example posted, most likely the tatoos have substantial amounts of blue and green in them, and the athletes photographed have dark skin.

And the lighting is really good.

You are probably thinking of using a red filter to darken (blue) skies. By doing that you aren't really increasing the contrast. All you are doing is helping differentiate the sky from the rest of the scene.

There might be a small affect on the contrast due to the fact that the filter will reduce the affect of haze, but that affect isn't particularly intense.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Red (and other coloured filters used with black and white film) don't really affect contrast, they affect colours.

Speaking in terms of the final, positive print, if you pick the right coloured filter, it will help you differentiate parts of your subject, by emphasizing (lightening) one colour and de-emphasizing (darkening) others.

A red filter will lighten reds and darken blues and greens. So it will lighten dark brown skin and darken blue and green tatoo ink.

In the example posted, most likely the tatoos have substantial amounts of blue and green in them, and the athletes photographed have dark skin.

And the lighting is really good.

You are probably thinking of using a red filter to darken (blue) skies. By doing that you aren't really increasing the contrast. All you are doing is helping differentiate the sky from the rest of the scene.

There might be a small affect on the contrast due to the fact that the filter will reduce the affect of haze, but that affect isn't particularly intense.
    I mean in terms of contrast with clouds and sea waves

I now understand what you mean I just never thought of it that way, or rather, I know ORIGINALLY that that was the case but as I used the red and yellow filters I have, I simply thought of them as "slight contrast" and "more contrast" haha

~Stone

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They are called contrast filters, and people generally think of them that way. Esp when just shooting landscape since most of the colors tend to be the same. The sky is usually blue, trees are usually green etc. I work in the graphic arts field, and had the importance of color filters impressed on me in the days when we did color separations for CMYK press work. A red filter passes red wavelengths, but at the same time blocks green and blue. Therefore, it will give MORE exposure to red objects and less exposure to green and blue objects. Thats why a deep red filter darkens the sky in landscape photography. It does not allow as much blue light to pass, making anything that is blue appear darker.

If you look up any list online or in a book, it will typically tell you what the uses for a filter are. Red is always listed as darkening skys in landscape. Going by what wavelengths we know a filter blocks and transmits, we can make use of filters in other ways. Caucasian skin has a reddish tone, so red, and orange filters will help lighten skin tones varying degrees depending which filter you choose (and subsequently which wavelengths of light you decide to block).

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Cool thanks, nice to get a refresh.

~Stone

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Not traditional tattoo photography, but I've been playing with these - more abstract than portraiture:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adam_2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	975.9 KB 
ID:	71320

Name:	Adam_1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	628.6 KB 
ID:	71321

Name:	Adam_5.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	522.1 KB 
ID:	71322

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    Not traditional tattoo photography, but I've been playing with these - more abstract than portraiture:
    I was thinking about similar stuff as well - I will bring my micro nikkor with me when I will be making those tattoo photos

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin