Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,813   Online: 861

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Attitudes to nudity and photography as well as other art forms

A recent thread has been closed and many posts deleted, not sure I can understand why

APUG allows the posting on nude image (male or female) in threads, the Galleries and Portfolios. There needs to be some tolerance and respect for peoples posts and images, also their opinions.

Yes there are some who disapprove of nudity in any form - that's their right, but here on APUG we have a freedom to express what we feel as individuals and that also needs respecting.

There needs to be a sense of reality as well, a poster in the closed thread claimed "The reality is that 99.99% of all nudes are shot by men who just want to see a woman naked, preferably a young one" That goes against my experience where women have been shooting male & female nude images for many decades. and serious photography is becoming a female domain with more female graduate photographer than male.

A point some might miss is actually women photographers have less taboos about shooting female or male nudes than men and the images are often far more explicit and erotic.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anyone that quibbles over this sort of thing should go start a tumblr acct and spend a week looking at the more expertly curated blogs which show b/w nude work, with very few limits on "SFW" content. The pictures are made by an even mix of male and female photographers.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I believe the OP of the thread requested that it be closed. Probably due to the immature nature of several of the postings. You would think that warmed-over double entendres would not occur here. Maybe such threads should be moved to the appropriate "groups"; however the fine art nude group seems to be a lonely place bereft of new postings.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk View Post
    I believe the OP of the thread requested that it be closed. Probably due to the immature nature of several of the postings.
    hi doug

it has taken me years to use the ignore list and to ask moderators to lock a thread down
    and my ignore list is being used, and i asked the moderators to lock the thread down..
    i wont' go into the exact reasons though, i don't really want to be "moderated" ..

john
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We're a joke.

We can't have a civilized discussion for longer than a bunch of teens.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Guess I missed the scrum.
    Nice work. You have a very talented computer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This reminds me of an incident 6 months to a year ago. Someone posted in gallery what I thought was a very well done female nude. The "critical parts" were well outside of critical focus, so you can't see "anything." But, the subject matter was female self-pleasuring. Someone started a thread to talk about this gallery posting. Nasty things were said. The work was pulled by the poster siting lack of respect to his work and his model. (the model saw APUG discussions, apparently)

THAT was sad..... this pseudo puritanism... if that's a real word. It can hurt children! Well, children today see far more explicit stuff on television.... but we must pretend, we must ban those things because it damages something..... We all know what's under clothing. We all know what everybody does in their respective homes. Yet, we pretend we don't - because it's impure....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I think it's partially my fault, I was upset at a previous private interaction and took to heart that part of the thread could have to do specifically with my own work. (It was a timing thing) It was inappropriate and as other have reminded me I need to grow a thicker skin if I am to become a great artist, criticism is part of that game.

I've been working on being a better APUGer and I think for the most part I've been doing better and I think some might notice my efforts (I hope).

I'll continue to work on me.

As for "the nude" in ironic twist, often those who's work is criticized after a show or book only gain from they criticism as "free advertising" so it's not all bad to be criticized.

I've said this a few times today, we all create our own reality, anything too far outside of that, and we feel we must confront or avoid it, or it could mess with the very foundation of our sanity...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    This reminds me of an incident 6 months to a year ago. Someone posted in gallery what I thought was a very well done female nude. The "critical parts" were well outside of critical focus, so you can't see "anything." But, the subject matter was female self-pleasuring. Someone started a thread to talk about this gallery posting. Nasty things were said. The work was pulled by the poster siting lack of respect to his work and his model. (the model saw APUG discussions, apparently)

THAT was sad..... this pseudo puritanism... if that's a real word. It can hurt children! Well, children today see far more explicit stuff on television.... but we must pretend, we must ban those things because it damages something..... We all know what's under clothing. We all know what everybody does in their respective homes. Yet, we pretend we don't - because it's impure....
    I agree, if you saw that thread you also saw a post I believe by Sean? I could be wrong... But it reminded us that APUG is international and that there needed to be some degree of censorship or some countries as a whole might block access to the site as it represented values outside of their legally approved laws.

So there's also that....
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Lots of people are prim... or taking a work break at work.

Some companies fire people for girlie centre folds from soft pano mags.

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin