Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,714   Posts: 1,514,749   Online: 807

Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1923242526272829303132 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Salmonoid View Post
    *Warning* Do not read if you are easily upset.

This is a very important subject for visual artists let me start by acknowledging some obvious and universal facts (things that are ignored by much of those contributing to this thread)...

...Stop being an animal, and be human...

Rev. Timothy Gordish
    Well, dear Lucy is 4.000.000 years old. Todays humans, as we know us, are less than 50.000 years old. So, we as animals are much older than we as humans. How on the Earth one think that 3.950.000 years which are in our genes are easy to erase/forget/ignore...
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why do men like looking at attractive women or pictures of attractive women? The choices seem to be either A) God is responsible, or B) mother nature is responsible. If A), why would God make us the way we are but nontheless hold that it's naughty for us to lust after women? That's just plain mean, and being plain mean is incompatible with an entity's being omnipotent, omniscient and omni-benevolent. Hence that's not something that God would do. So if God exists, and granted that men are randy, it follows that God wouldn't think that our lusting after attractive women is naughty. If God wouldn't think it's naughty, it would be a bit presumptuous for someone else to think so. If B), then we are the way we are because horny/randy people were more likely to reproduce, and so those traits were selected for over millions of years. Morever, if B), then God doesn't exist (because otherwise he/she would be responsible), and so religious arguments against lusty images/behavior are moot. But if there aren't any justifiable religious premises such that lusty behavior is inherently immoral, then there would have to be some other basis for these claims, or they would be unsupported. The only other basis for morality in this cause would be harm or benefit. So is there more overall harm or benefit in men lusting after women, which in turn leads to them lusting after pictures of women? I suggest that if this wouldn't be the case, humanity wouldn't survive very long, which would be a shame. Thus, since either God or Mother Nature is responsible for men lusting after attractive woman (and pictures of attractive women), and these exhaust the available options; and since it follows from both options that men's lusting after women is ok, then it follows that men's lusting after women is ok. Since it follows that if something is ok that whatever it entails is also ok, then it follows that men's lusting after pictures of attractive women is ok. If men's lusting after pictures of attractive women is ok, then it would be odd if making such pictures was not ok.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Peter - I think I would enjoy taking one of your classes!

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Peter,

Are you deliberately slighting polytheists, deists, and others? Also, it is by no means clear that accepting scientific evidence requires suspension of belief in some form of deity, only that it requires a less interventionist view of that or those deities.

Bruce

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP View Post
    Peter,

Are you deliberately slighting polytheists, deists, and others? Also, it is by no means clear that accepting scientific evidence requires suspension of belief in some form of deity, only that it requires a less interventionist view of that or those deities.

Bruce
    To start with the second point, I never said that, say, a belief in God and a belief in evolution are incompatible. In fact if there is a God, evolution is the way he/she got things done, as it were. But in that case God would be ultimately responsible for what happens. As such, this case wouldn't differ from my A) position offered in my example.

To move to the first point, science could ultimately provide answers to any question but the following: Why is there something rather than nothing? Two answers come to mind. First, there just is, and there's no reason. The second is that something has necessary existence. It exists because it has to exist. The only reasonable candidate for the later is an omniscient, omnipotent and omni-benevolent God. Polytheism posits more than one God, but if none of them are omni-competent (which combines the three omni's outlined earlier), then it fails to have the necessary explanatory power, and if one of the gods is omni-competent, then all of the other gods are explanatorily superfluous, and need to be cut out with Occam's Razor.

Deism is the view that God created the universe and then left. Since God is non-physical, God can't leave, since place is a physical property, and God doesn't have any of those, if he or she exists. A deist might reply that God simply isn't paying attention, but that would violate his/her omniscience. There doesn't seem to be another option. Hence, neither is a rationally tenable position.

I'm not sure what you have in mind by "other", and so I can't comment directly.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    To start with the second point, I never said that, say, a belief in God and a belief in evolution are incompatible. In fact if there is a God, evolution is the way he/she got things done, as it were. But in that case God would be ultimately responsible for what happens. As such, this case wouldn't differ from my A) position offered in my example.

To move to the first point, science could ultimately provide answers to any question but the following: Why is there something rather than nothing? Two answers come to mind. First, there just is, and there's no reason. The second is that something has necessary existence. It exists because it has to exist. The only reasonable candidate for the later is an omniscient, omnipotent and omni-benevolent God. Polytheism posits more than one God, but if none of them are omni-competent (which combines the three omni's outlined earlier), then it fails to have the necessary explanatory power, and if one of the gods is omni-competent, then all of the other gods are explanatorily superfluous, and need to be cut out with Occam's Razor.

Deism is the view that God created the universe and then left. Since God is non-physical, God can't leave, since place is a physical property, and God doesn't have any of those, if he or she exists. A deist might reply that God simply isn't paying attention, but that would violate his/her omniscience. There doesn't seem to be another option. Hence, neither is a rationally tenable position.

I'm not sure what you have in mind by "other", and so I can't comment directly.
    For other... (s)he is taking a really long nap, and not that (s)he isn't paying attention, but has the universe on TiVo, to catch up when (s)he wakes up.

I guess you could call that philosophy DVDeist.

Shooter
    35mm
    Interesting thoughts Mr De Smidt.
    Would you also hold that a competent God would not make a human being that is by nature greedy? If a God did create mankind that is by nature greedy then does it follow that God is not all benevolent..and just plain mean?

Could one hold that God created mankind..and other animals that have a built in urge to reproduce because it is too important to leave such a necessary trait to chance..in others words God wanted a continuing world?

Could a God have created mankind that is essentially greedy because such a greed is required to keep mankind active and progressive?

Has God created mankind with the tendency to do wrong so that mankind must struggle to against his nature? Has mankind been created knowing within his being the difference between right and wrong?
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Claire,

Let's see. Not sure. Not sure. Yes. Probably. Don't think so. (That's the 'soul building' reply to the argument from evil. The problem is that there's way too much evil.) Yes, assuming there is a God.

Shooter
    35mm
    You made short work out of that Peter.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    A deist might reply that God simply isn't paying attention, but that would violate his/her omniscience. There doesn't seem to be another option. Hence, neither is a rationally tenable position.
    Perhaps the deist God simply got bored and is purposely ignoring us. Or even disgusted with what we've done with our "Free Will" and has turned his metaphorical back on us and is playing with those nice beings over in one the the adjacent star systems where things are going along quite nicely. (I suspect you'll point out that you can't have free will if God is omniscient...)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin