Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,504   Posts: 1,543,460   Online: 951

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    Interesting point, but I don't think so. Religious art, I believe, is more likely didactic. It's purpose is to teach some fundamental of the religion, or in many cases to instill in the viewer a religious sentiment or feeling. In the best case, it might instill in the viewer a religious epiphany or transformation. I would not call that commercial.

If it is used outside the church, then it could more more likely be commercial, intended to invite the viewer to enter the church. But once inside, I would not call most of the art commercial, but rather didactic.
    Yes, I understand exactly what you are saying. A better way for me to say it would be that the main purpose of the mentioned religious art is something other than to simply exist as visual art. I still think "commercial" is part of it, but not the whole thing. I do believe that religions also double as businesses...if only out of necessity. Or maybe (more likely in my mind) they are businesses that double as religions...who knows.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 10-13-2008 at 05:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by scootermm View Post
    I have the issue of Paradis at home, but don't know of any link online.
    The UK version of Paradis is a very well done and gorgeous publication.
    The photographer was/is Juergen Teller.
    They are kinda uncomfortable and mildly trashy, but done well.
    I really don't get it - if the Paradis images are the same ones viewable with a basic Google search, I don't see what's "done well" about them - she's nude/naked depending on your perspective, and what looks like blasted with light. They don't really appeal to me at all.

I have this same issue with most of the other Juergen Teller work I've seen, and much of Terry Richardson's as well. Maybe I just don't understand fashion/glamour photography in general...
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Lily Cole? Who is she? She's got bird legs, big a$$...I've seen enough...
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mabman View Post
    if the Paradis images are the same ones viewable with a basic Google search, I don't see what's "done well" about them
    I think you just pretty much answered your own question.
    It just doesnt work for you.

Thats the beautiful subjectivity of taste in art.
    Nigel Tufnel: It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none.
    None more black.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin