Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,527   Posts: 1,572,382   Online: 1127

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zombie Fashion

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Zombie Fashion

While in the waiting room at the hospital, I was looking for something to read.
    The only thing they had was a super thick Vogue magazine.
    I grabbed it and started to thumb through it.

I thought it would be interesting to look at the photographs. I tried to guess where the lighting was placed by looking at the reflections and tones. But one thing I noticed on page after page was that the models looked unnatural. I would even venture to say that they looked like corpses or zombies. Their eyes were airbrushed with dark circles. Their faces were expressionless. And their poses were a bad impression of a mannequin.

I wonder why that style is so prevalent? Perhaps it is just the current fashion that most are copying right now. Or perhaps to be taken as serious art, the models must look serious. Maybe the models should be thought of like an inside-out version of a solid black frame displaying a colorful oil. Either way they were unattractive and awkward to my eyes.

Something else I thought about was that the photographer was never mentioned in the photos. It would certainly be hard to gain any recognition as an artistic photographer. Meanwhile the clothes designers name is plastered all over. Doesnt that make sense though if the magazine is helping to sell the clothes and not the photos. I wonder how much input the fashion photographer really has anyway. Correct me if I am wrong but fashion shoots are a big production and are run by the art directors. I fear that some photographers only credit is to push a button at an opportune time. Well I would certainly like to hear some stories or personal experiences.

In any case they should really plan these dr. visits better to keep my mind wandering so much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    ...Their eyes were airbrushed with dark circles. ....
    That's the bit I would hate. Can't see what kind of lighting was used!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David William White View Post
    That's the bit I would hate. Can't see what kind of lighting was used!
    A big soft ring flash.
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It was by reading the magazines in a waiting room of my local hospital I found out about the loss of the Titanic !
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    It was by reading the magazines in a waiting room of my local hospital I found out about the loss of the Titanic !
    You need to post that on the joke thread! LMAO!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree on the poor art direction. I have no eye for fashion, but photographically speaking, I prefer the old-playboy natural look....natural lighting, natural models, natural grain....

I also used to read RideBMX magazine in the late 90s. Good action photography, a good amount of black and white, and photos were always credited, and often even had exposure data.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A model is just a clothes hanger with a pulse. Such creatures are always subordinate to the rags they're shilling, and perhaps the zombie bit is just the look de jour.

With attention spans approximating those of a fish, the likely client for "fashion" needs to be seduced to even bother to look by whatever visual trick can be invented. I predict that models will pose as crime scene victims at some point in the near future when common sense and minimal taste has been completely abandoned.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    "A model is just a clothes hanger with a pulse. Such creatures are always subordinate to the rags they're shilling, and perhaps the zombie bit is just the look de jour."

Boy if I had only known the requirements for modeling when I was young, I coulda been a star.
    (imaginary scene) art director: "OK, now look awkward and out of place, good now hold it right there"
    -Well I got THAT covered!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    I predict that models will pose as crime scene victims at some point in the near future ...
    You missed the Kate Moss era ...

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Guy Bourdin was massacaring his models in French vogue with gay abandon in the 70's....nothing new, not to mention the heroin chic look about ten years ago..... you guys ought to get out a bit more. grunge, EMO, gangsta.....mysogny has ruled the fashion world for a long, long time.......and contemporary fashion photography absolutely stinks to boot....can anyone name a single decent contemporary fashion shooter?????

wayne

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin