Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,661   Posts: 1,481,586   Online: 921

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i couldn't agree more with you benjiboy!
    all i can say is it is an acquired skill to be able
    to have a conversation with the subject and i can understand why some folks don't / can't do it.
    for someone who isn't used to it, or isn't used to the situation .. it can be frightening,
    and the resulting photographs endup worse then .. well, the last thing you described.

john
    I.M.O John portraiture is less about technique and more about being able to help your sitter put down their defences, relax, and show who they really are.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Ben:

I don't disagree with you that many of us do use our experience with the common "portrait" focal lengths for 35mm film when we consider this issue. The problem that occurs, however, is that trying to covert that experience for use with other formats can be both complex and subject to error.

I shoot several medium format formats, and in at least one case I have to add close-up accessories to my lenses to attain a close up headshot using an appropriate lens. In the end, for me it is simpler to arrive at a single, standard working distance for each intended result (full body portrait, 3/4 body portrait, upper torso and head portrait, shoulders and head portrait, close up headshot) and then choose the appropriate lens to match.
    Matt, you're making things more difficult than they need to be. Simply understand the ratio of your [favorite 135 format FL:135 frame height], and perpetuate that ratio for all other formats, choosing the closest real FL lens!!!

Example...
    You like 85mm at 9' distance for 135 format head and shoulders; 85:24 = 3.55:1. Use
    • 150mm (3.55 * 43) on 645
    • 200mm (3.55 * 56) on 6x6 or 6x7
    • 320mm (3.55 * 90) on 4x5"
    • 65mm (3.55 * 18) on half frame (e.g. Olympus Pen)

You like 150mm at 9' distance for 135 format headshot; 150:24 = 6.25:1. Use
    • 270mm (6.25 * 43) on 645
    • 350mm (6.25 * 56) on 6x6 or 6x7
    • 560mm (6.25 * 90) on 4x5"
    • 110mm (6.25 * 18) on half frame (e.g. Olympus Pen)

...results identical framing and identical perspective at the identical subject distance
    choosing the closest real FL lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I.M.O John portraiture is less about technique and more about being able to help your sitter put down their defences, relax, and show who they really are.
    I did some employee-of-the-month shots where I work earlier this year. It was a lot of fun getting the guys to relax a bit. They would typically walk in, square up to the camera, clasp their hands in front of their balls, and cringe like I was going to kick them. It took a moment to pose them and get them to giggle but the shots came out nice.

I was too expensive for the company's taste so after two months they went to iPhone shots with the guys covering their balls again, oh well.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    In terms of distance to control perspective, just look at this shot by HCB and the way he makes his viewpoint of the line on the wall equal the angle on the cart.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hc...31%3B505%3B337

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnielvis View Post
    It's a self sustaining feedback loop.
    Yes it is.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The technical term is "positive feedback".
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    you can say THAT again !
    any technique works, as long as it works
    ( and that could also mean directing the person to do so they " -look good- " )
    Last edited by jnanian; 11-23-2013 at 10:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I am a wedding photographer, so I like to always take a few shots up close just of the details. The way the hand rests on the should, the way the earring hangs next to her next. The bride holding the bouquet. So I can get really close, but I know this breaks a certain measure of personal space so I make those moments fast.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin