Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,532   Online: 1035

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

What was that style of photography? Early 1900's.

A question to the art experts. You'll know the style of photography as I procede to describe it's basic characteristics. I am looking back historically for some photographers who did this type of (fashion, or Art Deco style???) of photography in the earliest part of the 20th century.

1. Most likely from 1900-1929
    2. Probably German, or maybe American in origin
    3. Art Deco, maybe Art Nouveau??
    4. The entire composition is based in front of a large blank wall.
    5. Lighting is somewhat subdued and directional across the subject.
    6. A woman dressed in white airy flowing dress. Possibly semi-transparent material.
    7. She is arched backward in almost a perfect arch.
    8. One or both hands may be raised above her in a ballet type manuever.
    9. There are scenes in the movie Metropolis that fit into the style I am describing.

10: Added: Sometimes the subject might hold a globe or object raised in one hand.

I believe this type of photography was created as art only. I can try to be more descriptive if required. Many thanks in advance. Dann
    Last edited by DannL; 08-09-2009 at 05:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Lo único de lo que el mundo no se cansará nunca es de exageración." Salvador Dalí

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In terms of art and design movements I thought of Bauhaus but not sure the images you describe fit that criteria. Anyway, the following might give you a few names to investigate further.
    http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item...d=5810&ttype=2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Pictorialism?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    that is very specific!
    That is its own movement?

Why not make up your own name for it
    there isn't any rule saying you can't

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    maybe you're talking about avant-garde
    though I don't know you can say avant-garde belongs to ONE specific era or even a very precise style like you've described

Seems the best fitting to me and how I'd describe avant-garde
    a page of it here I found with both more modern and classic examples
    http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f52...h-8809-97.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Egan View Post
    In terms of art and design movements I thought of Bauhaus but not sure the images you describe fit that criteria. Anyway, the following might give you a few names to investigate further.
    http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item...d=5810&ttype=2
    Thank you Tony. I had completely lost track of László Moholy-Nagy and your reference relocated him. That was a name I just couldn't remember.
    I didn't find anything there that would trigger a "yes, that's it". I could be way off as far as origin, also. This may is have been Hollywood thing from the 20's. But, I thought I saw at least one book for a german photographer doing this type of work in the 20's. Just wait, in the end I'll be incorrect on every account.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikanon View Post
    Pictorialism?
    I'm fairly familiar with Pictorial photography. I don't think it fits that style. Soft focus is probably not a foremost characteristic. I found a photo on the web by Steichen.

http://luciaadverse.files.wordpress..../steichen7.jpg

It's similar in some ways. The clothing, hair style. Not exactly what/who I'm after. Does this genre of photography have a name or specific time period?
    "Lo único de lo que el mundo no se cansará nunca es de exageración." Salvador Dalí

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_jZbcykhpM

Thought that was neat and to me this is avant-garde ..and shares similarities with your description eventhough certainly no people or arms or ballet
    if you ask me
    Whether someone wants to call something this or that or avant-garde or not
    I don't think it matters
    Seems you just have a certain word on your tongue you cant spit out so hopefully gets it

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I figured you'd post a photo like that one/hurrellesque
    To me
    that's avant-garde
    stylized soft or fashion or glamour or bauhaus or expressionist
    I just don't think it's able to be defined/pigeonholed that way

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sun of sand View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_jZbcykhpM

Thought that was neat and to me this is avant-garde ..and shares similarities with your description eventhough certainly no people or arms or ballet
    if you ask me
    Whether someone wants to call something this or that or avant-garde or not
    I don't think it matters
    Seems you just have a certain word on your tongue you cant spit out so hopefully gets it
    You're most likely correct. I'm assuming that if I can determine the name associated with this style, I might be able to locate some of the photographers associated with the style. It may have no name at all, and I'll have to seek out individual images first, and then their creators.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I am not sure her style fits all of the above requirements, but Ilse Bing comes to mind.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin