Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,505   Online: 863

View Poll Results: Square Composition

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I like square and this is nice

78 86.67%
  • No I don't like square but this is nice

9 10.00%
  • Square for this is lousy, and I like square compositions

2 2.22%
  • All Square compositions are lousy

1 1.11%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Donima View Post
    Not that i dont like the model, i do! But i think i would rather see the image without the model. I also prefer the square format that i get with my 500cm. Don
    Another photographer buddy told me that when he saw the print hanging in my work area - then again he is a landscape guy and can count the number of people shots he has done on like one hand.

I do absolutely agree that the setting was the compositional focus - I guess that what experiments are for and why photography is a blast.

RB

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Sorry, by "just a touch of window", I meant less than there is now. With her foot closer to the corner -- puts a little more energy down there. And I would try to match this with the other lower corner -- so that you would also keep the energy you have there from that line coming right out of the corner.

So there would be a little more wall showing behind (to the left) of the figure, balancing the figure a little better (subjective opinion, I know) in the frame.

But you have a strong image there. You have the softer rounded female form, surrounded by sharp angular male forms. She is not bathed in light, but is being struck and almost shoved back by the light bursting through the window. Her hand is in an active pose -- not a hand at rest. And that can be said for her pose in general. My suggestions above would change that -- not necessarily for the better.

It is a very active composition, there is a lot of tension in it. It grabs our attention and makes us want to wait to see the rest of the story. Which might be a reason that one can have it on the wall and not tire of the image.
    Last edited by Vaughn; 10-20-2009 at 03:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSeb View Post

Was it Darkroom317 or BobNewYork who mentioned "camera clubs"? What a collossal waste of time those are.
    It was me. I wouldn't sy they are a an absolute waste of time. The only problem I seem to have is that out of the two clubs I belong to, I am one of two film shooters.

My only point was; that people who don't know much about the 6 X 6 format often don't like square photographs.

I especially like how in the OP's photograph, the woman's left leg mirrors the railing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Sorry, by "just a touch of window", I meant less than there is now. With her foot closer to the corner -- puts a little more energy down there. And I would try to match this with the other lower corner -- so that you would also keep the energy you have there from that line coming right out of the corner.

So there would be a little more wall showing behind (to the left) of the figure, balancing the figure a little better (subjective opinion, I know) in the frame.

But you have a strong image there. You have the softer rounded female form, surrounded by sharp angular male forms. She is not bathed in light, but is being struck and almost shoved back by the light bursting through the window. Her hand is in an active pose -- not a hand at rest. And that can be said for her pose in general. My suggestions above would change that -- not necessarily for the better.

It is a very active composition, there is a lot of tension in it. It grabs our attention and makes us want to wait to see the rest of the story. Which might be a reason that one can have it on the wall and not tire of the image.
    Thanks a lot for the clarification - I think the I was successful at what i was trying to do based on your comments and that is good feedback.

The other thing that I appreciate is your comments that are more calling into question if what I was trying to do was "appropriate" - or maybe ill conceived in the first place. Both are important to me.

I really enjoy making images that are a couple of things at once and a little complicated - not cluttered - complicated. For me it is a breath of fresh air after spending years shooting idiotically simple things for other people.

Thanks again for spending the time and thought process.

RB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkroom317 View Post
    It was me. I wouldn't sy they are a an absolute waste of time. The only problem I seem to have is that out of the two clubs I belong to, I am one of two film shooters.

My only point was; that people who don't know much about the 6 X 6 format often don't like square photographs.

I especially like how in the OP's photograph, the woman's left leg mirrors the railing.
    I am shy about pointing out specific intent regarding my own photos especially when it comes to things that I myself am not sure about the success of failure of but I just have to respond to the leg/line/railing thing...

In this particular comp I was struggling with balancing the whole shooting match in a square and trying to achieve some sort of equilibrium between symmetry and juxtaposition or contradictory line. I usually am a much more intuitive shooter but I was having an issue with what I was seeing vs what I wanted so here is what I did.

My best to have a natural line of the model - imagine a center line if you will mirror the diagonal of the railing, molding, and downward line of the stairs.

The line of of each of her legs - the part below the knees - mirror the diagonal in the molding below the window in the lower right of the composition and the number of diagonals from the stair treads being the same in the opposite direction.

RB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All well and good (what a dead metaphor that is!).

With respect to all that's been said, I can't help but think that your model looks like maybe she'd rather be doing something else.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Square is one choice. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. But if I have a camera that shoots a square ( = all my cameras except 35mm and 5x7) I aim for the print to be square for no particular reason.
    For me the choice is more about how the pictures look on the wall, together. When I shoot with a square format, I try to make the square work.
    Yet, if the square doesn't work, I don't mind cropping either.
    Whatever the situation takes I'm willing to put up to make it work in the print.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In my opinion Thomas - you've nailed it! A photograph doesn't have to be anything...and by the same token it doesn't have to not be anything either. If the image works, firstly for the photographer and secondly for his or her audience...it works!

Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I like the composition as such, and exposure is great, but it's not clear to me why she's on the stairs...in the middle of the day and in lingerie. While I don't mind the sentiment, it seems a bit out of place or rather the 'story' is off. She's beautiful, the shot is beautiful, but it says something close to 'why am I waiting?' which isn't too compelling for me.
    -Mark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markland View Post
    I like the composition as such, and exposure is great, but it's not clear to me why she's on the stairs...in the middle of the day and in lingerie. While I don't mind the sentiment, it seems a bit out of place or rather the 'story' is off. She's beautiful, the shot is beautiful, but it says something close to 'why am I waiting?' which isn't too compelling for me.
    -Mark
    Mark,

Thanks for the feedback - any imaginary hints of a story that you would tell instead? Anyhow - I treated the whole thing as more of a still life than a portrait or journalistic image.

RB

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin