Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,055   Posts: 1,561,360   Online: 1076

View Poll Results: Square Composition

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I like square and this is nice

79 86.81%
  • No I don't like square but this is nice

9 9.89%
  • Square for this is lousy, and I like square compositions

2 2.20%
  • All Square compositions are lousy

1 1.10%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Wanted to get some feedback on this

Started messing with square compositions using my square camera (again). Is it just me or do only photographers find square compositions interesting?

Anyway wanted some thoughts on this:

Hasselblad 501 Zeiss 150 CFi
    Ilford HP5 plus in PMK (N)
    1/125 f 5.6

Handheld

Thanks

RB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Oh and other thoughts would be appreciated as well.

RB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a Rolleicord and I love the square format. But I have run into to trouble with people accepting it. One of my local photo clubs has a contest but it is only open to 8 X 10 and 8 X 12 prints. I have been fighting with their competition committee in order to get them to allow 8 X 8. Another man who shoots with a Hasselblad has been trying for the past six years. They are already comparing two rectangles. What is so wrong with allowing for a square if the photography is of good quality?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkroom317 View Post
    I have a Rolleicord and I love the square format. But I have run into to trouble with people accepting it. One of my local photo clubs has a contest but it is only open to 8 X 10 and 8 X 12 prints. I have been fighting with their competition committee in order to get them to allow 8 X 8. Another man who shoots with a Hasselblad has been trying for the past six years. They are already comparing two rectangles. What is so wrong with allowing for a square if the photography is of good quality?
    Maybe you could convince them if you went with a 10x10 or a 12x12 instead.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I tend to see in rectangles. In particular, I tend to see the world in 2:3 format. (so 8*10 won't do for me) But I like what you did.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I tend to see in rectangles. In particular, I tend to see the world in 2:3 format. (so 8*10 won't do for me) But I like what you did.
    I hear you - I originally bought a square camera for flexibility and put a grid screen in it so that I could visualize landscape and portrait comps without flipping the camera around but as I got used to it somethings just screamed square to me.

This one screamed square to me.

The funny thing is some of my best shots that were great square my clients insisted on a portrait crop. Amazing.

RB

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    RB, I love the square. I love shooting in this format and seeing others work with this format as well, and your photo is certainly no exception. Excellent photo! The lines of the models body, and the railing as well follow a diagonal line from the upper left to the lower right of the square. Great work!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You've composed well for the square.

Not every day you see such a well-heeled lady on the stairs. Not sure what it means! But setting the message aside, I do like the lines, angles, curves... and the directional light.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

36 square centimeters rock! I could care less if anyone else in the world likes my beautiful square photos. I do and always will and that's all that matters. There is nothing more perfect to me than a well composed square. It requires great style and balance to face such austere symmetry. And I would tell those judges to kiss my square ass.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Great composition, the square works well!

I tend to compose for whatever I see in the viewfinder, so it's square if I happen to be using the Pentacon 6, or 6x6 mask in Moscow 5, otherwise rectangular. Very rarely find myself cropping at the printing stage, although one of my favourite prints is an 8"x10" taken from a 6x6 negative.

Ian

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin