Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,726   Posts: 1,515,064   Online: 1093

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Stay out of the mosh pit?
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just realised the OP is from Denmark, which I expect changes the rules significantly. For one thing, there's that weird nexus between folk music and metal in a lot of Northern Europe---has that reached Denmark, and is that actually perhaps part of their reason for wanting "normal clothes in the woods" colour photos? There's also a long tradition of rock-n-roll mysticism, going back at least to Led Zeppelin, that seems to be more persistent in Europe than the US---you know, you talk about a Danish metal band in the woods, and I imagine Vikings around the campfire...

I still think you probably have to work within whatever the expectations for promo material are with European death-metal bands, but those expectations probably aren't the same as the ones in the US that I was thinking of when I posted.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    Here's hundreds of examples of what not to do ...
    I love the caption on this picture...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    No, that's 80s hair metal and its successors, which is pretty much the cultural antithesis of death metal...

Unfortunately, since this is promo work, I think you're probably pretty constrained by the styles of the genre, which means a lot of leather, a lot of candid or faux-candid studio shots, and the obligatory group portrait of all of them looking disreputable and menacing. It's the commercial-photography problem---promos are the wrong place to be artistically adventurous...

But it might be fun just to mix in some high-contrast, gritty b&w street-esque material of the band members, for instance. The kind of stuff you'd see routinely for an East Coast hardcore band, and not so weird as to threaten the viewer's image of them as a metal band, but Something A Little Different nonetheless.

I would tend to avoid unexpected props...although the image just jumped into my head unbidden of the band gathered around a morgue table dissecting a giant Hello Kitty, and you may do with that thought what you like, I guess!

-NT
    Me thinks you failed to notice the hint of sarcasm in my post.

Rick

Shooter
    35mm
    If the guys want colour in the woods, I think I'd give them colour in the woods. Work within those constraints and spend time scouting a few good locations and thinking about how to make it good. Regular clothes is a bit of a disappointment, could be difficult to make it interesting and not just 'group of men in woods'.

I'd toy with the idea of getting them to set up a full-set in a woodland clearing. Drum kit, amps, everything. I'd then get as many people as possible to turn up and shoot the band 'playing' live so to speak from a slight distance as if you were three rows back at a gig. So, some dark and blurred back of heads in the shots but the focus on the band. Would be great if you found a clearing where the light illuminated the area but left the surrounding woodland in relative darkness.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Emil,

It's been a while but I think I still remember the feeling well enough.

Celtic Frost did some interesting things, more Hieronymus Bosch than metal.

There is a modern death metal band from your region (aren't they all these days?) that often features the main character sulking around in the woods. I can't remember the name off the top of my head but it's pretty common knowledge and I'm sure the source of your friends' inspiration.

If it were me I'd go for cross-processing to get some funky colors and shoot into the sun with uncoated lenses to get some intense lens flare in the shot. Shoot from low angles. It's been my experience that death metal bands want to look like badasses but often end up looking just plain silly, so hide as much as possible to leave it up to the viewer's imagination.

Which band is it?

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi.

I loved the link to the page with horrible band photos!!!

I'm really excited now to go out and do this, and see if I can do something original.

Bosaiya, the band is called Grevil, they don't have a website yet, but I think they're on myspace. They are actually quite contemplative in their music and lyrics, and not very badass or scary. The guy I know, Magnus is a student of astrophysics and philosophy.

I really like the idea of setting up a gig in the woods and I will definately do that at some point, but for this shoot the budget is limited to, well, nothing. I do have an idea, that I'd like to get some feedback on. How about bringing a rope to the shoot, and have a tug-of-war contest between the band members? I could get some great closeup shots of arms and faces, and bring some dynamics and masculinity to the imagery. Is it too contrived and cliché? It certainly also adds to the Viking image (I don't know if that's something they would want). This as an addition to the group shots and individual portraits, of course.

In my mind the whole thing wants to be done in black and white, but the band really wants color. I think I'm going to look for something in-between.

Emil

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken22485 View Post
    I love the caption on this picture...
    Is the kneeling guy holding a tiki torch? What sort of bet did he lose?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil View Post
    I really like the idea of setting up a gig in the woods and I will definately do that at some point, but for this shoot the budget is limited to, well, nothing.
    What would you need a budget for? They pack up their equipment, they drive out to the woods, they set up. (Somebody needs a generator if they're going to run amps, but IMHO any good metal band ought to be able to play a respectable acoustic set...)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    how about just a normal color photograph of them in the woods ...
    you know - a beautiful landscape and the band is
    wearing sweaters and their sunday-best, all smiley, giddy and cute.
    it would be reminiscent of "throbbing gristle 20 jazz funk greats"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin