Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,569   Posts: 1,545,464   Online: 1187

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't know what's in your case, because I didn't see any of your photos, mids1999...

But let me tell you my story: in my case, I deal with "safe" and "not-safe" photos by developing an... alter ego!

My first personality makes black and white images, always in square, and quite boring. First "me" doesn't like such places as city streets, and it takes lots of time to take one photo (working with medium format, sometimes a tripod, you know, it have to take time).

My second personality - oh, he's different. He often uses color, doesn't like square format and takes pictures in a way, which couldn't be described as "safe" by first personality, that is: often on the streets, sometimes very close to people (with very wide lens), sometimes quite fast and so on...

Here is first me, and here is second.

So, maybe this will lead you to your answer. Or maybe not.
    Marcin "Rudolf" Szymczak
    Author of 13th Frame
    marcinszymczak.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just whatever you do, don't go with shooting on a 45 degree angle and crouching. That's what damn near every kid does when their college photography teacher gives them that useless comment. Shoot subject matter you don't usually do, or shoot something more interesting, but don't be too tempted to "do it wrong on purpose" unless you have a vision of what you're trying to accomplish.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Get another instructor. This sort of advice encourages what amounts to "mass individualism." He/she plainly doesn't have a clue if they can't specify what they want.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I got it the first time when you said it should talk to you that he meant make it personal.

Like when I took a public speaking course (which is definitely outside my comfort zone) and they said talk about something you know well, then you will be successful.

So I talked about loading a spiral with 35mm film and processing.

It worked. I forgot my fear and got through the three minutes' talk.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Last edited by jnanian; 03-08-2012 at 01:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Seem we need to have this instructor come in and face our firing squad....
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Take a picture of a ventriliquist's dummy, with the phrase below: "Hello, Instructor."

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mids1999 View Post
    Thanks for all of the feedback.

I have made another attempt to contact the instructor.
    In reply to this email, the instructor stated to start taking pictures of things that "talk to me in some way".
    This has me even more confounded, as that is what I thought I had been doing all along.

I do not think they mean for me to break the rules of composition, as they have been pushing the students to follow those rules all semester.
    This actually makes more sense than you realize.

Make a list of those things you are passionate about. Then try to communicate that passion.
    Think theme. People may be passionate about fast cars but that is the object of the passion.
    It is the SPEED they are really passionate about.

The instructor set the bar pretty high. Should be fun.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I forgot the olde lady characters name....saturday nite live weekend update "editorial" guest...
    Emily Latella

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, there are quite a few things that I have become passionate about, and I have already photographed a few of them.
    I will have to dig deeper into my list of interests, and hopefully come up with something.

As far as shooting something that I am uncomfortable with; the truth is, that I have become quite comfortable behind the lens over the years.
    There are really only two areas that I can currently think of, that make me uncomfortable; photographs where I would be financially liable for messing up and nudes.

This discomfort would be at the financial and interpersonal levels though, not the technical level.
    I have this image of either being sued for messing up an important event in someones life, or getting smacked repeatedly for asking people to model in the nude.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin