Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,671   Posts: 1,481,805   Online: 1089

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    When wandering about certain areas you can sometimes feel there is a possible image in a certain location. You then turn into a sniffer dog to find where it is, at what angle etc.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take the boots back to the yard, abandon them, revisit them. If only you could put them back on the feet of the welder, in the yard, then try again. The story is not in the boots but in who wore the boots. Take the boots back to where the story happened, take them home.

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree - the story is not in the boots but in who wore the boots. A little background here. I grew up in a small town. My high school history teacher was always involved in the community, including serving on the local rescue squad as an EMT. After she retired from teaching, she was often one of the first ones to arrive on the scene (they called these two people the "geriatric squad" because they were retired from their day jobs but still were active on the rescue squad/fire department). Sadly, she died on her 70th birthday in 2011.

To honor her, the fire department threw a party in celebration of her life. At the end of the party, they took her boots and fireman's outfit to the corner a block from the firehouse, where US 24 runs through town. Everyone who attended the party gathered at the corner where the boots were. The entire fire department and rescue squad then got on one of the fire engines and went from one end of town to the other with sirens blaring.

There was no picture in the boots or gear. The picture was in the person who wore them. Rest in peace, Miss Nancy Burnett.

Find the person who wore the boots, and you'll have your story.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've spent ages trying to find the photo of various things. More than once, it took till I had picked up a few other random things and put them together before the photo revealed itself to me.

But sometimes, you just have to accept that you ain't gonna get it. Well, I do, but still life isn't my strongest skill.

Shooter
    35mm
    I know this is an old thread, but I'll opine on I anyways.

With interesting objects as still lifes, think about why you think they're interesting, then convey that in your photo. It usually involves adding context to the object. Shoot the boots at an unfinishd work site, in an old shop, in an entryway to an old home with a leather weding apron hanging above them, etc. You're adding context to the boots, not just cataloging old boots.

-Xander

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not the light or the boots - it's the context they fit into. Sometimes an image just cannot stand on it's own without surrounding context - which could be words or associated photographs. Sure, if you want to get all fine-arty about it, then yeah "here's a picture of a pair of boots in the desert, complete with foot trails across the dunes." But that's artificial.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Perhaps it is the environment. Maybe you need transport the boots to an area appropriate to welding or welders. A grimy workplace perhaps or somewhere that has an abundance of welded metal seams, looking like surgical scars in the harsh daylight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin