Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,440   Online: 1004

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beetle 1965

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a used '73 beetle in high school. A girlfriend and I actually had "fun" in the back seat.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I had a 57 van. You couldn't get out of your own smoke with it, but I loved it anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I grew up with several Volkswagens. My own first car was a maroon 67 bug. The entire family moved from Southern California to Northern Minnesota (serious culture shock) in 1969 in a 68 Type 3 Bus. We found a sticker that said; "Don't Honk, We Are Pedaling As Fast As We Can" and placed it on the rear bumper. Very appropriate as we slowly chugged our way through Yellowstone Park.

The 67 Bug ended life upside down in a snowy ditch near Aiken, Minnesota. Great traction but it also a bad habit of the rear end wanting to pass the front end when slowing down on icy roads. Mostly operator error though since my next car, a 62 Falcon, ended up pretty much the same way. I did eventually learn to drive but left a trail of bent metal, blown engines and busted trannies behind me on the way to figuring it all out.
    Dan

The simplest tools can be the hardest to master.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thank you for the comments, I have ordered the book. Any experts out there with whom I can interact, nothing like a one to one communication.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I like the photo on my phone be nicer cropped... mine never are nice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always loved driving a beetle. To drive one well you had to be very smooth and had to learn how to maintain and manage momentum. You could drive it like a road racing sports car without breaking the speed limit. It taught many a young racer how to heel and toe.

Shooter
    35mm
    Always was one of my favourite cars! So photogenic. Great shot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An early 1960's beetle was the first brand new car that my father bought. If my memory is correct, the price was about $2000. I remember sitting in that space behind the rear seat, below the rear window. I was once that small.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    An early 1960's beetle was the first brand new car that my father bought. If my memory is correct, the price was about $2000. I remember sitting in that space behind the rear seat, below the rear window. I was once that small.
    I think that was the warmest spot in the entire car.
    Dan

The simplest tools can be the hardest to master.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Around 1970 I bought a Beetle from a mechanic that only had 18000 miles on it. It was in excellent condition (and I kept it that way). He had a St. Bernard that rode in the back seat, but he did a fine job of cleaning up all the slobber stains before selling. Then a few years later poor economic times hit and I no longer could keep two vehicles, so I kept the '69 Land Rover and sold the Beetle. One day I drove past a car lot of derelicts and thought I saw my Beetle, went around the block for another look and, sure enough, it had the license plates that identified it as mine, and it looked like it'd been driven down the Baja and back. Its life was over - felt like puking after the anger subsided.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin