Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,771   Online: 1054

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beetle 1965

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Beetle 1965

Beetle 1965 by february71, on Flickr
    Hi,
    After two days of rain, sun just came out before setting spreading excellent light. I just grabbed my camera and composed this, hope you will like it - I am very happy with the results.The reason I am posting this image is one I wanted to share what I liked, but more importantly I want to connect with other beetle lovers out there. I hoping I could connect with some experts from who I can get advice on restoration etc.

Cheers
    Raffay.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My first car was a 1970 Beetle. It may have been a total piece of junk, but it was my piece of junk! Mechanically very strong, but the body and floor was seriously rusted out. Drove it all through college.

Thanks for the memories.
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Shooter
    35mm
    I never had a Beetle, but three of my college roommates each had one.

I had a Pinto. Both were great little cars (The fire danger of the Pinto has been debunked. They were no more dangerous than any other car in that weight class at the time).

Could tell some funny stories about how light and movable the Beetle was for four average guys, even without keys. Allowed for some great college pranks on friends.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I learned to drive on a 1956 bug. I made a sign for the back saying "You have just been passed by 36hp" - that really angered a lot of drivers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great car! A classic.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice pic of a lovely car.

I have owned at least a dozen Bugs, 5 Buses and we raced them as mud buggies.

This is a major website for VW and California is the place you oughta be, as they have 1000's of air cooled VW still on the road. You can buy any, I mean ANY part new for your car.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bugs are nice, I am fond of them. I never owned a beetle, but did own a Karmann Ghia and a Transporter at various times. I've driven plenty of beetles, and I've paid my dues in wrenching them.

If you will be doing the restoration/maintenance on your own, then find a copy of How to keep your volkswagen alive: A manual of step by step procedures for the complete idiot by John Muir.

Although the book has it's faults, it goes into pretty complete detail of how to keep an air cooled VW going, and shows how to do it without a sophisticated shop and a collection of special, one-off tools.

I think it may still be in print even, so finding a copy should be pretty easy anywhere on the globe.

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?au...ed&st=sr&ac=qr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I had that book! Really love the hippie vibe it had!
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The Beetle is a classic car, not a straight line anywhere. I once had a blue 1302S and thought at one time of doing the inside out like a Turkish taxi cab with religious paraphernalia and lace curtains on the windows etc. The engine sounds like a sewing machine and these cars go on forever. Some aspects of the design are so simple, like the fact that the choke is a bi-metal strip and when the engine heats up it cuts out the choke.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    My first car was an old 59 bug. I loved that death trap and learned an awful lot by fixing it myself. Sold it before I left for college. Lost money but what I learned was worth it many times over.

Oh, and I have the Muir book up in the attic. Best guide to the old beetles ever!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin