Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,402   Online: 910

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pumpkin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    David,

I am really impressed...very nice work!

Best regards,

Bob
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vickersdc View Post
    Although I'm going off track a little on my own thread, (it's still a still-life though) - I thought I'd post this image as one that I feel just doesn't work. What do you think?
    For me it is the (im)balance of tones. The brilliance of the flowers, surrounded by a deep black (and white border strip), renders the middle grays (which occupy a significant amount of space and supports the brilliance above it) sort of life-less.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the comment Vaughn, might I ask how you would change it were you take the image? Increase contrast, reduce contrast, crop to just the flowers or something else?

I totally agree with you that it is 'lifeless'.
    David.
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks for the comment Vaughn, might I ask how you would change it were you take the image? Increase contrast, reduce contrast, crop to just the flowers or something else?

David.
    Man...try to help someone, then they put you on the spot!

My first thought would be to reduce the contrast on the leaves -- the strong dark tones on the leaves diminishes the glow that middle tones can have. Take a look at the leaf directly above the star design on the vase and imagine a similar tone on all the leaves.

But it may be an over-all lighting issue -- too harsh of a light that is in conflict with the inherent softness of the subject.. Perhaps a soft fill light might help. I am mentally picturing an upward explosion of tones -- a slightly darker toned vase, middle tones in the middle, with the whites of the flowers as they are now.

Thanks for posting your images! They have been inspirational. I might disappear into the studio tonight and photograph (8x10) a couple of artichoke flowers that I have had sitting around since the end of the summer.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post

Thanks for posting your images! They have been inspirational. I might disappear into the studio tonight and photograph (8x10) a couple of artichoke flowers that I have had sitting around since the end of the summer.

Vaughn
    Thank you for posting your comments Vaughn; the lighting is quite harsh as it's from a couple of 100W household spotlights, placed about 50cm away, with no light modification.

I think you're right, the subject needs a softer light, whereas the Allium seed head, and the pumpkin are about textures... typically brought out by the use of harsher lighting.

I'm currently reshooting the pumpkin picture as I hated the background in the original (on Ilford Multigrade of course!). Hope to post pictures later on this evening.

I'm hoping you'll go out and shoot those artichokes! Looking forward to seeing the result.

Cheers,
    David.
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've reshot the pumpkin image... but I'm still not entirely happy with the background! Still, I love the shot of the pumpkin, and I've included a crop of the stem - the detail is incredible!

Pumpkin (MkII). Paper negative.

Crop from Pumpkin (MkII)

Thank you.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    holy cow that's nice!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KWhitmore View Post
    holy cow that's nice!
    I reckon we should throw away the film and load up the cameras with paper

Thank you.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I'm hoping you'll go out and shoot those artichokes! Looking forward to seeing the result.

Cheers,
    David.
    Got it set up -- just going to have a cup of tea before I meter and expose. I am using a Tota light (750W lamp) and an umbrella, with a large piece of white foam core as a reflector. Full frame 8x10 first, then I might try 4x10.

Vaughn

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I reckon we should throw away the film and load up the cameras with paper
    done and done! my speed graphic is ready and waiting...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin