Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,235   Online: 821

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I agree with h.v.

The street photography I did in Dublin, look at them today, they tells me more about the Irish fashion, behaviour, look, tradition, street atmosphere and feelings than any photograph I look at the news. And I didn't do it on purpose. I just photograph people and scenes that catches my attention. Therefore, forbidding street photography is a big loss.

As I said before, because of the culture people easily feel molested for any reason.
    When I see somebody falling or carrying heave things I usually offer my help. Despite my generosity they behave as if they are feeling molested. Sometimes they even ignore me as if they can't see or hear me. It does't mean that I will not be kind with people any more. If I see they don't want my help I go away.

The same with photography. If they are not doing anything wrong, embarrassing, or too intimate in the streets, there is no reason to feel molested or shamed. But if I see that the person looks annoyed with my lens towards them, I look for other person to photograph. Not a big deal.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just checked on Google and it seems that in Germany street photography doesn't look to be different from anywhere else:
    https://www.google.de/search?q=Germa...w=1440&bih=785

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by marciofs View Post
    I agree with h.v.

The street photography I did in Dublin, look at them today, they tells me more about the Irish fashion, behaviour, look, tradition, street atmosphere and feelings than any photograph I look at the news. And I didn't do it on purpose. I just photograph people and scenes that catches my attention. Therefore, forbidding street photography is a big loss.

As I said before, because of the culture people easily feel molested for any reason.
    When I see somebody falling or carrying heave things I usually offer my help. Despite my generosity they behave as if they are feeling molested. Sometimes they even ignore me as if they can't see or hear me. It does't mean that I will not be kind with people any more. If I see they don't want my help I go away.

The same with photography. If they are not doing anything wrong, embarrassing, or too intimate in the streets, there is no reason to feel molested or shamed. But if I see that the person looks annoyed with my lens towards them, I look for other person to photograph. Not a big deal.
    That's weird. But goes in line with my thought of taking ourselves too seriously. Things like that don't happen in North America often (if it does happen, you just brush it off), but I know obviously there is a difference between Europe and North America. If people feel that threatened by street photography, that's their problem, not mine. I know I'm not doing anything wrong, and that's what matters.
    cities & citizens - edmonton street photography (mostly), 100% film

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by h.v. View Post
    That's weird. But goes in line with my thought of taking ourselves too seriously. Things like that don't happen in North America often (if it does happen, you just brush it off), but I know obviously there is a difference between Europe and North America. If people feel that threatened by street photography, that's their problem, not mine. I know I'm not doing anything wrong, and that's what matters.
    I thought it was very weird too but after a couple of months you become used to it. A very big impact for me after living some Years in Ireland where people are always offering their help and very open to chat at any time to anybody.

But as I said, I continuous being kind and it doesn't mean that it is wrong just because there are some people who feels uncomfortable.

Since I don't know who mind or who don't, I photograph in the streets. If a person shows he doesn't want be photographed I don't shot. All they have to do is give me a sign and I will know. And I never hide myself. I shoot with 85mm lens and my subjects are just a few meters from me.

It is like talking to women. You will never know who will talk to you or who won't if you don't talk. Some will talk with you and will have a nice chat. Some others will pretend they can't see you or even go away as if you were a pervert just because you say "Hi" to them.
    Last edited by marciofs; 06-03-2013 at 12:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    holy thread revival again Batman

Im not going to take a holiday to Germany then... is there not a Ge tourist board?

It does explain my problems with a French cine team in London they were interviewing people in street but protested volubly that I had not asked permission - they were not shooting, I waited until they finished an interview.

Only one of their team thought it risible that I ignored their protests instead shooting the protest sequence.

Many people think it is obligatory to ask first, and will complain, even when they know they have not been the subject, so it is a formal thing to complain. Some instead ask what are you taking photos of from curiosity.

Visitors from Sweden have complained about the surveillance video cameras, stock answer 'this is 1984 and we also have a state lottery' lots of people are offended by the cameras and lottery. Bit like Ms Merkel and her mobile phone tap.

London is the place for 'cinema verity' style street. I have no connection with the tourist industry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    In the city of Krefeld, Germany it was even not tolerated by local regulation just to stand in the major shopping street watching people.
    One either had to look into shop-windows or just pass.
    Wow. Really?
    Something to do with history?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No, just a city counsel going crazy.

I was told that it was forbidden to "form groups" in the inner city. And that a person not shopping nor window-shopping has to be considered the nucleus of a group and that could not be tolerated.

You hardly find a bench or alike. People are made to move on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How does the saying go? A fox smells it hole first.
    These discussions about photographing on the street always make me angry and sick. People can’t differentiate.
    I live in Berlin and photograph on the street. The things I have had to put up with. Being threatened with law suites, getting threatened by fists and people demanding money for getting photographed. Even if they walked behind me during me taking the photo.

Loredane Nemis is one although being Rumanian, and photographing around the world, and it isn’t street photography in the classic sence.

Volker Echte, a very good German photographer although nobody knows him, but remember his name.

Harald Hauswald, out of the good old GDR. Kai Wiedenhoefer, but he did most of his world in the near east.
    Barbara Klemm is another one.
    As well Karsten Thielker.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreasT View Post
    These discussions about photographing on the street always make me angry and sick. People can’t differentiate.
    What makes you sick in this thread? Or are you refering to those people on street?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well the thread doesn't make me sick.
    This thing about having to ask permission to photograph someone on the street, as far as I am concerned it is for something „higher“. It is either reportage or an art form. Which enriches mankind.

If people have bad thoughts about it, they have bad thoughts themselves wherever those thoughts may come from. If people were innocent and act innocent, things would be fine.
    For me it often has a feeling that people accuse one of doing something bad although they do not know what the whole thing serves.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin