Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,232   Online: 836

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    RZ67. Makes a photographic outing quite the social occasion, particularly when the Japanese tourists want to have their photo taken with you and the camera.

And you can put it on a tripod, prefocus and wait with cable release in hand while completely "not looking" at your subject.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by amsp View Post
    I love using my Hasselblad for street work. I find people either don't notice you when you're looking down the WLF, or they respond positively. I also like a challenge, it makes me more thoughtful about what and how I shoot. I'd still like a nice rangefinder with a fast lens though, for low light work.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hassy501cm

Congrats AMSP. You and Dan (PKM-25) have piqued my curiosity: On my next "street outing" I will forgo the Leica(s) and bring out the one of Blads with an 80mm (loaded, of course, with either Tri-x or HP-5) and give it a go.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradleyK View Post
    Congrats AMSP. You and Dan (PKM-25) have piqued my curiosity: On my next "street outing" I will forgo the Leica(s) and bring out the one of Blads with an 80mm (loaded, of course, with either Tri-x or HP-5) and give it a go.
    Go for it, it's tons of fun

Shooter
    35mm
    A Nikon F100.
    After my FE2 with the split screen for focusing I find it much harder to focus.
    Especially in low light situations.
    I hope I will practice enough to never miss the focus.

Shooter
    35mm
    My equipment isn't fancy and I'm no pro by any stretch. But, I started with a Canonet rangefinder (Sadly in disrepair). I currently use a Canon AE-1 and a Minolta Maxxum 7000 as my primary cameras and a Polaroid 600 and Land Colorpack II for fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by amsp View Post
    I love using my Hasselblad for street work. I find people either don't notice you when you're looking down the WLF, or they respond positively. I also like a challenge, it makes me more thoughtful about what and how I shoot. I'd still like a nice rangefinder with a fast lens though, for low light work.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hassy501cm

Yes ... just like everybody else, I really like this photo, AMSP. Thanks for sharing!

I can see the merits of the waist-level viewfinder as well as the stand-near-populated-area-with-large-format method. Unfortunately I can't afford either right now. Hass is def. on my permanent wish list. Large format, perhaps one day as well.

I think that something I'm taking away from this conversation, is 1) that I'm not the only one out there shooting street with an SLR; 2) many of us have similar experiences / reactions from people while shooting street and 3) finding a way to not look at your subjects directly (i.e. under a curtain of a large format, down into the WLF) can direct attention away from you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    Yes ... just like everybody else, I really like this photo, AMSP. Thanks for sharing!

I can see the merits of the waist-level viewfinder as well as the stand-near-populated-area-with-large-format method. Unfortunately I can't afford either right now. Hass is def. on my permanent wish list. Large format, perhaps one day as well.

I think that something I'm taking away from this conversation, is 1) that I'm not the only one out there shooting street with an SLR; 2) many of us have similar experiences / reactions from people while shooting street and 3) finding a way to not look at your subjects directly (i.e. under a curtain of a large format, down into the WLF) can direct attention away from you.
    Thanks, here's a couple of tips n' tricks I use myself... 1.) Look ahead to spot the moment before it happens. 2.) Prefocus and walk into the shot, or wait for the subject to walk into it, with a Hassy WLF you will see it snap into focus nicely. 3.) Pretend you're focusing on something else, if the subject notices you but isn't sure look past them and keep walking. This will convince them you were photographing something else. If they notice you and there's no doubt you were shooting them, SMILE! 4.) Sometimes it's just good manners to ask first, most of the time people will say yes. If they don't agree, don't be the asshole that takes the shot anyway. 5.) Be relaxed and have fun, people pick up on your vibe.

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Strangely, I've devolved and found it better. Been shooting with my Yashica FX-2 and Tessar pancake. The FX-2 has always been a favorite for me because of its 3-m functional simplicity. I realized while street shooting one day how quiet the shutter is, in comparison to the FX-3 ... and even compared the RTS (The RTS 2 is equally quiet) ... anyway, something about seems to make me a little less aggressive-looking, which is good. Still deal with some of the same problems but I think this may be my new street set up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What do you shoot with?

For rabbits and birds, I use a shotgun - an old Remington pump. For deer, I use a .303 Enfield. For targets, I use a BSA .22rf, and a home built .22/250. For amusement , I use the above, plus an old Krag, a Schmidt-Rubin, and a .45 revolver.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've recently picked up a Leica IIIb and a CV 21/4 and I can definitely see the appeal of this combo for street work!
    Nikon 35mm, Mamiya 645 & RB67, Leica IIIb, other bits and pieces

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin