Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,165   Online: 994

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    We're not misreading it, but trying to distinguish between taking photographs and shooting firearms. I happen to have cameras and guns, so in an attempt to prevent confusion, I say "shooting" when I'm using guns, and "photographing" when I'm using cameras.

Those who feel good about using imprecise language may continue to do so, however they have no cause to gripe when they are not understood. As Mark Twain wrote, "the difference between the right word and almost the right word is the difference between 'lightning' and 'lightningbug'".
    How courageous. Takes a big man stand up against slang in a friendly thread about photography, in a forum whose overwhelming purpose is photography. Whether with firearms or not, you're sharpshooting.

I understood that you were not boasting about your firearms as much as your ability to sharpshoot language. There is irony in your conjuring of Mark Twain to criticize the use of slang, considering that Twain employed slang throughout his most-famous novel.

If this was a firearms AND cameras forum, you would have a valid gripe and a good reason to hijack this thread. But this is not a firearms and cameras forum.

Those who feel good about using imprecise language may continue to do so, however they have no cause to gripe when they are not understood.
    In this sentence, the word "those" requires a noun in the previous sentence or immediately afterward.
    "Those" is not a normal pronoun. It is a demonstrative pronoun.

For turkeys, I use a .22rf and shoot their heads off.
    This sentence ends in a preposition, a major faux pas among the literary elite.

".22rf" is incorrectly written. There should be a space between the numerals and letters. And if you want to be, ahem, precise — you would write .22-caliber rifle."

Now, when noble Von Hoegh, courageous defender of syntactical correctness, is finished protesting the verb, "shoot," I'd still like to hear from street shooters about their chosen equipment. And I wager a few others here would be interested in this relevant topic as well.

For what it's worth, Von, I carry a Star Firestar ultra-compact 9mm.

It has very little recoil and incredible stopping power.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by daleeman View Post
    I usually have my 38 + P, J frame S&W tucked in my belt if the camera about my neck sets off some unsuspecting person on the street I capture with my camera. Never had to swap "formats" while out shooting.
    YET.
    Are you posting about photographing people, or shooting them? I can't tell which.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    How courageous. Takes a big man stand up against slang in a friendly thread about photography, in a forum whose overwhelming purpose is photography. Whether with firearms or not, you're sharpshooting.

I understood that you were not boasting about your firearms as much as your ability to sharpshoot language. There is irony in your conjuring of Mark Twain to criticize the use of slang, considering that Twain employed slang throughout his most-famous novel.

If this was a firearms AND cameras forum, you would have a valid gripe and a good reason to hijack this thread. But this is not a firearms and cameras forum.

In this sentence, the word "those" requires a noun in the previous sentence or immediately afterward.
    "Those" is not a normal pronoun. It is a demonstrative pronoun.

This sentence ends in a preposition, a major faux pas among the literary elite.

".22rf" is incorrectly written. There should be a space between the numerals and letters. And if you want to be, ahem, precise — you would write .22-caliber rifle."

Now, when noble Von Hoegh, courageous defender of syntactical correctness, is finished protesting the verb, "shoot," I'd still like to hear from street shooters about their chosen equipment. And I wager a few others here would be interested in this relevant topic as well.

For what it's worth, Von, I carry a Star Firestar ultra-compact 9mm.

It has very little recoil and incredible stopping power.
    You're as well informed about English as you are about "stopping power".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're as well informed about English as you are about "stopping power".
    Punctuation goes inside the quotes, big guy.

Shooter
    35mm
    This isn't really related, but yesterday I was at a cemetery when a herd of deer arrived. I sat on the ground next to a tombstone and within a few minutes, the deer were almost close enough to pet! I had an MD-12 attached to my FM2n and I was able to squeeze off one shot before they scattered.

I could have taken the motor drive off or advanced the film manually, but I really didn't realize how loud the motor was until yesterday.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you posting about photographing people, or shooting them? I can't tell which.
    Actually both, but mostly I was refering to the desire not to change "formats" from 35 to 38 unless necessary. Way things have been going with PC here in the US, one may have to get a conceal carry permit for both soon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by daleeman View Post
    Actually both, but mostly I was refering to the desire not to change "formats" from 35 to 38 unless necessary. Way things have been going with PC here in the US, one may have to get a conceal carry permit for both soon.
    Gotcha. Either could be appropriate, depending upon the situation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wonder how this conversation would have gone if I'd have used the word "expose."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've uploaded more street shots to my flickr, all done with my Hassy. In case anyone is interested

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=amsp;1322397]I've uploaded more street shots to my flickr, all done with my Hassy. In case anyone is interested

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hassy501cm/7015242767/

Very cool, AMSP. This one of the riot police calmly looking at you is really interesting. Would be interesting to know the backstory there.

Great stuff. Reinforcing my quest for a Hassy.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin