Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,707   Posts: 1,482,859   Online: 968

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=pstake;1322411]
    Quote Originally Posted by amsp View Post
    I've uploaded more street shots to my flickr, all done with my Hassy. In case anyone is interested

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hassy501cm/7015242767/

Very cool, AMSP. This one of the riot police calmly looking at you is really interesting. Would be interesting to know the backstory there.

Great stuff. Reinforcing my quest for a Hassy.
    Thanks, the other side of the story and the reason they were out in force is in the photograph before that one, there was a Communist party rally nearby. I saw these guys and hesitated for a moment (I think you can guess why) but then asked my girlfriend who speaks Turkish to ask them if it was ok for me to take their portrait. After assuring them I was a "tourist" they agreed, needless to say I was pretty shaky taking the photograph as they grimly stared at me. But looking at the result I'm glad I did.

Shooter
    35mm
    I use, at various times the Contax RX with the Zeiss 50 1.7 or 1.4 and sometimes the Zeiss 35 2.8, the Contax Aria with the 45mm Zeiss Pancake lens, the Konica Hexar AF (great for street photography as it is extremely quiet and has a fine 35mm lens) and finally the Voightlander Bessa R with the Soviet era Jupiter 8 lens.

Shooter
    35mm
    A pair of A-Series Canons with 24/28mm lenses and 50mm 1.4, or an Olympus MjuII and a Konica Big Mini. At events where people expect to see photographers I take the SLRs, for mobility on the street the compacts win out.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the posts, asmp - It's good to know one can do street with a MF camera!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkasha View Post
    Thanks for the posts, asmp - It's good to know one can do street with a MF camera!
    For sure, and I've found that using a waist level finder people either don't notice you or they respond very favorably. There's something very disarming about the old time charm of a Hassy or a Rolleiflex for example. The photos by Vivian Maier I think are a good example of this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    Punctuation goes inside the quotes, big guy.
    Yah, that is what they teach in the universities these days. I recently took a class that was called "professional writing", but was really "writing for professionals". From there it went down hill. No self respecting secretary from the 1950's would have allowed any such crap as the "professor" taught to leave their desk except to the waste basket. Not only was this stuff not a third or fourth year college class, it was not even an acceptable high school class back in the days when students were expected to learn something rather than just be there.

Punctuation goes inside the quotes when the whole sentence is quoted. It goes outside the quotes when the quote is contained inside a sentence. If you think that is wrong go up to the above sentence and replace "professor" with "professor." (There I did it your way, and it is still wrong wrong wrong! Semantically, grammatically, and logically wrong.)

The funny thing is everyone remembers the rules, but not the part that goes, "..., except when...". (A period does not follow ellipses, except when separated by a closing quote.)

Sorry, I get upset when people start spouting rules while ignoring the "except when". Almost every English grammatical rule has an "except when".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
    Yah, that is what they teach in the universities these days. I recently took a class that was called "professional writing", but was really "writing for professionals". From there it went down hill. No self respecting secretary from the 1950's would have allowed any such crap as the "professor" taught to leave their desk except to the waste basket. Not only was this stuff not a third or fourth year college class, it was not even an acceptable high school class back in the days when students were expected to learn something rather than just be there.

Punctuation goes inside the quotes when the whole sentence is quoted. It goes outside the quotes when the quote is contained inside a sentence. If you think that is wrong go up to the above sentence and replace "professor" with "professor." (There I did it your way, and it is still wrong wrong wrong! Semantically, grammatically, and logically wrong.)

The funny thing is everyone remembers the rules, but not the part that goes, "..., except when...". (A period does not follow ellipses, except when separated by a closing quote.)

Sorry, I get upset when people start spouting rules while ignoring the "except when". Almost every English grammatical rule has an "except when".
    You're partially correct. English contains many conditionals. Your "writing for professionals" apparently does not apply to professional journalists. So there's a caveat, too. There's at least one exception.

Also, I'm a professional print journalist. Not a photojournalist. I'm a writer; I know the rules ... and I lighten up in conversational threads except when people start sharpshooting as though the conversation exists in a vacuum, without context. Did you read this entire thread, graywolf?

I quote the Associated Press Stylebook.

“PLACEMENT WITH OTHER PUNCTUATION: Follow these long-established printers’ rules

— The period and the comma always go within the quotation marks.

— The dash, the semicolon, the question mark and the exclamation point go within the quotation marks when they apply to the quoted matter only. They go outside when they apply to the whole sentence.”

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't consider myself 'seasoned' at all, but I feel that if I try hard enough, one day I'll produce photographs that will be worth seeing. Until now, my primary tools for street photography have been SLRs, namely a Canon F-1n and an FTb. I used to shoot different lenses, but eventually settled on the 50mm f1.4 - a lens that is as good as it is expendable. It gives me a certain feeling of security, walking around with easily replacable gear instead of a 10.000$ Leica setup.
    Lately, I've noticed that using manual-everything SLRs can be too slow for street photography. I've missed quite a few opportunities because I was fumbling around with my camera. That's why I'm currently saving some money for a Bessa R3a and 50mm lens.

By the way, how do you guys feel about filters? I never use one, not even UV. Uncoated ones flare, multicoated ones attract dirt and are impossible to clean on the go. I also rather like the low-contrast look with lots of shadow detail that I get from unfiltered light.

I have some recent photographs up on my blog, which is in my signature line.
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    35mm
    Mainly I shoot with my Bessa R with CV35/2.5 color skopar. I have a Canonet but I find it impossible for me to zone focus.

Shooter
    Medium Format

weapon of choice

p-38 air-cooled, blood-fed...

the weapon of choice for the vietnam era infantryman "shooting' holes in those tin cans of c-rations.

jvo

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin