Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,175   Online: 958

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yashica Mat
    Mamiya 645 Super
    Yashica Electro 35 GTN

.454 super mag

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Konica Hexar AF & Yashica-A, mostly. Occasionally I use SLRs.
    cities & citizens - edmonton street photography (mostly), 100% film

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Curiously, I have found that using a big camera on a tripod makes me "invisible" when doing street photography. I'm "part of the furniture" rather than an annoying pest that buzzes after people with a camera fixed to my face.
    while not in the 8x10 range, i do use mamiya 645's...

i agree with maris, quiet and small isn't mandatory in much street photography. people have noticed me taking their picture. once in awhile i got snarl, but it really wasn't in anger - more a formality at having their picture taken. most often once they notice - they smile and pose and i have to pretend to shot and wait till the "magic moment" returns. often i'm interacting with the subject whose pleased, but shy.

small and unobtrusive is necessary in some circumstances... often though, it is the photographer who thinks those times are more numerous than there really are.

imho...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Curiously, I have found that using a big camera on a tripod makes me "invisible" when doing street photography. I'm "part of the furniture" rather than an annoying pest that buzzes after people with a camera fixed to my face.

I set up by prefocussing and framing on an promising spot, shop window, ticket booth, fountain, and the like, where interesting looking people may do quirky things. I watch the unfolding scene attentively but casually and I never look at anyone through the camera. Sometimes the reflection in the lens filter tells me my "target" is in the right spot. Because I fuss with the camera controls, make meter readings, occasionally press the cable release, wind the film while standing in front of the camera, no one is certain when I have made an exposure or who has been photographed; not even the small, easily bored, transient crowd that gathers to watch what I do!

My most "conspicuous" camera is the Mamiya RB 67, a TLR is even less visible, and the 8x10 view camera may as well not be there at all. I guess the "street" psychology is that when the camera does not "chase" it's not a predator in pursuit of prey
    Shooting with tripod seems to catch less attention than handheld. I think it is because handheld you can point fast at anybody and shoot. With tripod they know they will not be in the picture if they don't stand in front of it. (even though sometimes I use wade angle lenses and they think they are not in the shot but they are).

What really makes people stop and stand still looking at me is when I bring my pinhole camera to streets. People always ask what I am doing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    what do seasoned street shooters use for making photographs? What's your primary street-shooting system?
    Primary system: Leica M

My go-to street photography kit: Leica M4-P body with my Summicron 28mm f/2 ASPH lens and my Sekonic L-508 meter.

Film: Kodak Tri-X or Fuji Pro 400H if I want to work in color, both of which I develop at home.
    "My idea of a good life is that I wake up in the morning, go out and look around and make four rolls of film a day." - Josef Koudelka

"There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are." - Ernst Haas

"Nothing happens when you sit at home. I always make it a point to carry a camera with me at all times…I just shoot at what interests me at that moment." – Elliott Erwitt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Changing things up a bit (no real reason to do so), I have, for the last several weeks, been leaving the M6s at home and begun carrying a single F3HP (sans MD4) with a 50mm F1.2 Ais Nikkor to shoot on the street (no camera bag, no other lenses). I stuff a couple of rolls of HP5 or Tri-X into my jacket pocket and go. The feeling is oddly liberating! While the Nikon will never match the Leica for quickness of focus, I am, by my own admission, getting fairly quick with the Type A screen that came with this particular camera (an $85.00 USD evilbay "win").
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Crown Graphic 4x5 with 135 mm lens also as need a 215mm lens it may be the last one ever sold I do know it was the last one sold in Fresno CA. I also have a Pear River I purchase back 1987 and have new put a roll of film in it and digital for computer work. This only way I hunt no bomb bomb Banby lives. I am also a gunsmith and I do not hunt with a gun just a camera.

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I make it simple on my self. I only have 2 cameras. Both Nikon F5s, one for B/W and one for color, so those are all I shoot with. Don

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Rolleiflex TLR's or Nikon FE

Todd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't do a lot of 'street' but when I do it's usually with one of the following...
    Mamiya 645 Pro with wlf and 80mm lens
    Yashica Mat 124G
    EOS RT with 40mm pancake

More often though I just use whatever I happen to have with me.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin