Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,205   Online: 866

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What do you shoot with?

what do seasoned street shooters use for making photographs? What's your primary street-shooting system?

I love to use my Contax SLR with T* lenses but it's not the most inconspicuous nor quiet camera available. I've only used rangefinders a handful of times but enough to know their merits. That said, a rangefinder of the quality of my Contax system is beyond my means right now. And with a few sporadic exceptions in the past, I've only recently had the ability to go out and shoot street with any regularity. I've always admired good street photographers and the images they make. It's the purist form of photography IMHO. Documentary would be a close second.

Please tell me what you use to shoot with and any other ancillary details are welcome as well! Also, links to images are appreciated.

For background:
    My roots in photography are documentary. Longer-term projects following a series of subjects about their daily lives, activities, jobs ... very microscopic stuff ... Anyway, the point is: FOR MY DOCUMENTARY WORK, MY SLR WAS / IS PERFECT. At first, subjects are/were a little awkward around the camera but eventually they grow used to it and so do I.

I've always used Contax SLRs. I love them. I love using them and I love the images they produce. If photos don't come out well it's usually because I do something retarded. When images come out right, they can be absolutely stunning even in small format. I prefer fast film. Usually Tri-x at 1600, Tmax 3200 ... have pushed Neopan 400, 800 and 1600. For detailed work, I LOVE Delta 100 in ilfotec HC. Since I rarely print larger than 8x10, this format is not a problem.

Have only recently had the stability and resources to get back into shooting, processing, developing and printing from home. Print mostly 5x7 on a Leitz Valoy II ... process in Rodinal, D-76, and ilfotec-hc (depending on film i'm using), and print using dektol.

I think that a bad / unengaged photographer can not make good photographs even if s/he has the best equipment, but a discerning photographer wants to have precision and quality optics with which to record moments in the most impressive way possible. With my Contax system, "F8 and Be there" works in almost every scenario.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I might be not as seasoned as you'd like, or own the best equipment as some would think, but I will answer your question.

First, I Don't own a Leica. I am a budget photographer.

It really depends on where I am at. If I want to be stealthy, my EXA black flange with WLF, also I recently converted it into M42, this camera seemed to get away with a lot of things, without people looking at you too pissed off. This I tend to shoot hyperfocal with.

In the winter, I like to have my Olympus 35RC in my jacket. It's small, quick, complete manual override If I need, and a nice lens.

If I feel like there's going to be good stuff, I'll bring my Rolleiflex T with WLF out.

Recently I am doing an experiment, is an F4 with a WLF. Sadly its still too big and scaring people away, I would like to replace my MB21, with an MB 20, so it looks smaller, and less scary. With this camera right now I must use the shoot and keep walking method, don't look back.

That's what I like to do street with, at this moment, I have tired a lot of camera and this set up works the best for me, as of right now. That doesn't mean i won't use other cameras to do street when I have to. Did street with a 650Pro with Power Grip + prism, just smile and nod, and walk away fast, haha.

Previously I also use a Petri 1.9 for street.

By the way, there's also a OM Infinity Stylus in the glove compartment.

You will find a sample of my street photos at http://dehk.wordpress.com/street-photography-best-of/

Cheers.
    Last edited by dehk; 03-13-2012 at 01:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For street shooting I prefer a .45acp and 12 gauge riot gun followed with maybe a Cetme .308 so's I can really reach out and touch someone.
    Oops, you were asking about photography.
    Um, I generally use Mamiya 6x6 TLR's and 4x5. used to shoot loads of 35mm Olympus gear, but have gotten away from miniature format schtuff.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    For street shooting I prefer a .45acp and 12 gauge riot gun followed with maybe a Cetme .308 so's I can really reach out and touch someone.
    Oops, you were asking about photography.
    Um, I generally use Mamiya 6x6 TLR's and 4x5. used to shoot loads of 35mm Olympus gear, but have gotten away from miniature format schtuff.
    You prefer bird shots or buck shots?
    - Derek

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dehk View Post
    I

You will find a sample of my street photos at http://dehk.wordpress.com/street-photography-best-of/

Cheers.

Great photos, Dehk ... thanks for sharing.

Ever tried the charade of pointing the wide-angle lens seemingly away from people, and THEN briskly walking away. My latest technique.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post

Ever tried the charade of pointing the wide-angle lens seemingly away from people, and THEN briskly walking away. My latest technique.
    That would probably translate to camera shake here. I just shoot now, worry later.
    - Derek

Shooter
    35mm
    Yashica Lynx 5000e (45mm f/1.8) or Nikon F3 with 28mm f/2.8.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While I own a three body (M6x2, M4P), five lens (28,35,50,75,90) Leica system for candid/street photography, I have found over the years that probably most of my street work has been shot with either the 28 or the 50. The beauty of the rangefinders is that they allow me to work in close to my subjects, unhindered and almost always unnoticed. If I am carrying a bag, I load one body with E100G and the second with one of Tri-X/HP-5 (for most of my daylight shooting) and then often switch to Ilford's Delta 3200 for existing light work (an amazing film!).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dehk View Post
    You prefer bird shots or buck shots?
    OO buck and slugs. Inside buildings I opt for #4 shot for max body damage and less wall penetration.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Large Format
    i use anything from a 4x5 graflex slr to a leica m3 ... and a penft
    im not too choosy ...
    Last edited by jnanian; 03-13-2012 at 04:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin