Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,093   Posts: 1,635,998   Online: 1207

Shooter
    35mm

Best Zone Settings?

Does anyone who routinely shoots SP with zone settings want to share their knowledge. I use 2.5 metres on a 50mm at f8. I appreciate this seems like making myself problems, but it works for the distances I shoot at, without losing focus or inviting diffraction. What settings do people adopt for 28mm or 35mm lenses?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by blockend View Post
    Does anyone who routinely shoots SP with zone settings want to share their knowledge. I use 2.5 metres on a 50mm at f8. I appreciate this seems like making myself problems, but it works for the distances I shoot at, without losing focus or inviting diffraction. What settings do people adopt for 28mm or 35mm lenses?
    Depends on environment

5cm 10 to 12 foot no wider than f/8 normally
    3.5cm 6 to 7 foot no wider than /5.6
    28mm 3 to 6 foot no wider than /4.5

Never worry about diffraction get way to much camera shake and subject movement.

But what is SP?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The easiest to work out the hyper focal distance of a lens is to look at the depth of field scale on it http://www.fineart-photography.com/dofScale.html
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    But what is SP?
    Street Photography?
    Bronica ETRSi, Nikon F3 and FM.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, street photography. I don't normally favour abbreviations, but as it's the Street sub forum I assumed SP wouldn't require explanation as it's routinely used.

The rule of thumb I've always adopted is allow one third in front of hyperfocal and two thirds behind to be sharp. In a street environment one has to play the odds to a certain extent, and refocus if something is well out of range. My 2.8 Industar shows a focal setting of 2.5 metres at f8 to give approximately 1.8m (5ft 11in) to 3.75m (12 ft), or put another way 2/3 length figures to small groups on a 50mm lens. So long as that photographic "template" is born in mind, one can point and shoot to the heart's content.

f11 show 5' 6" to almost 15ft sharp, at the same 2.5m focus setting. These will of course show reasonable sharpness for closer and further objects, especially the latter. The compromise with 50mm lenses is they allow greater magnification at the expense of depth of field, which is why many street photographers go wider, including myself. However looking back at my work over the years I prefer the perspective of 50mm lenses to 28mm ones. Currently I'm using 1/250 at f8 and rating the film as necessary for the day, between 400 and 1600 ASA.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin