Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,256   Posts: 1,660,486   Online: 872

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Human landscapes maybe?

I have had a little drink so I am a little more confident to post my work. I dont have a lot of confidence about posting my work places or showing people.

I am unsure about posting these in the street photography group. I have always said that "I don't do street photography". I dont have the confidence to take my camera into a crowded street. I have been shouted abuse at before by people when photographing a tree of all things and it bothers me. People are like that in this part of the world. I always take pictues alone. See my post in the architecture forum, I normally walk for miles across fields alone to get my pictures.

In 2013 though I was at the beach. Aberthaw beach. Someone rode a bike into the car park and stopped. I took pictures of the bike ( http://kokorolibrary.net/photography/?picture=1391 ) but the next picture I really liked. This one:

the biker lost in the epicness of the landscape. I really liked this picture. I have visited beaches a few times since, usually early in the morning and photographed people from a distance. I don't know if this constitutes street photography or not, it is "human landscape" maybe?

I would like to do more. I am afraid of using my cameras on the beach though. I don't want to damage them.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well. I do sort of recognize what you say about street photography. Its pretty scary if you ask me.
    But. These pictures are amazing! no 1 is very nice. But 2 and 3 are stunning. No need to feel unconfident about your work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokoro View Post
    Someone rode a bike into the car park and stopped. I took pictures of the bike.
    One comment regarding modern(ish) vehicles - Quite a few owners get a little nervous about having the registration plates photographed and then posted on the internet. Understandable if they are concerned about cloning. If possible, I'd suggest pixelating/bluring the plate after scanning.

As for the photos posted above, the last one appeals most to me.

If you head over to the Norfolk coast, I think you'll find most of the locals to be quite friendly and less likely to shout at you for taking photographs. The end of September in Sheringham is an ideal time to pull out a camera

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That link sounds like it might come from a man with a shed and a lathe ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokoro View Post
    have been shouted abuse at before by people when photographing a tree of all things and it bothers me
    A few years ago I was taking a picture of a nice corroded and eroded wrought iron kissing gate, when an old lady demanded to know what I was doing, where I lived and what my name was, because, she said, I was obviously a burglar casing her house for a robbery. She reminded me that there was a gaol nearby and perhaps that's where I should be.

I told her that I wouldn't give her my name and address as she might be a burglar and want to break in and steal my cameras. She told me not to be absurd.

Touché, I replied ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    Something like this maybe.
    http://www.boltonabbey.com/whattodo/bodger.html
    Rick Allen
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really like the shots you have posted. I live in a small coastal town in Maine and we have much the same type of "street" photography here. What are you using for equipment? I regularly shoot on the beach in almost all conditions. I just make sure to thoroughly wipe down all of my gear and always keep a protective filter on my lenses as the spray from the "sea breeze" can get pretty heavy at times. Here's a couple of my "street" shots...

This is a lobsterman cursing up a storm that he has to shovel out his boat after a storm:

And this is a couple I spotted cuddling up for the sunrise:
    flickr

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
    "...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
    "The hard part isn’t the decisive moment or anything like that – it’s getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    Phhhht...

No shed, and not a lathe. Two at the last count

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Don't be afraid. While I photograph whatever subject matter I care to, I have no problem doing "street photography" and that with a 2 1/4. Most people are busy going about their business that they don't notice you. Start in a busy area or some type of a public function or festival since many people will probably taking pictures especially with their phones. Just blend in and if someone objects that they might be in your picture tell them that you are not intending to include them. Another approach would be to have someone with you and act as though you are photographing them. Having a person or people in a photograph especially when they are not recognized I consider to be different then "street photography". A couple of examples ... two with the 2 1/4 I consider "street" and one 35mm part of the landscape.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bride & groom rome.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	107773Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rapallo.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	1,016.2 KB 
ID:	107775Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dom sq.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	807.0 KB 
ID:	107774

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    thank you for the kind replies.
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    If you head over to the Norfolk coast, I think you'll find most of the locals to be quite friendly and less likely to shout at you for taking photographs.
    I keep a large csv database of historical places and ruined and abandoned farmsteads which I use for chosing places to photograph. I only have one place listed in Norfolk, a disused maltings in Dereham. It is next to a preserved
    railway.

Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke View Post
    I really like the shots you have posted. I live in a small coastal town in Maine and we have much the same type of "street" photography here. What are you using for equipment?
    I use a Trip 35, Praktica MTL5B and occasionally a Zenit E.
    Maine must be really good for sunrise pictures, looking eastwards.

Wait, here is something that can be considered true street photography:

and another:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin