Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,697   Posts: 1,482,547   Online: 885

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well said.

In our country extreme 'Political Correctness' is the current modus operandi for living. Everyone walks around on tiptoes, worried they might have inavertantly miffed a minority group somewhere.

Further on HCB; if he had followed the current trend in PC he wouldn't have used a right-angled viewer to fool subjects. But it's also unlikely he would have been labelled 'Greatest Photographer of the 20th Centry'.

These things go in cycles and certainly imho our society needed to change, here anyway. But, also the pendulum has swung a long way in the opposite direction. It'd be easy to step into the political discussion out that.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyk
    Because unless it is done to aid the homeless and disenfranchised, or as a photojournalist to highlight their plight, it can be seen as exploitation.
    Yes it can be seen as exploitation, but this is in the eye of the beholder. A photographer may also make a comment on society with their camera whilst maintaining responsibility for and awareness of affects of their images without a vehicle to aid the subject or the intent to exploit.

In a round about way Salgado is a good case in point. I follow his photography avidly, spent a small fortune on his books. His cause constantly seems noble and admirable and it is easy to assume all his work is motivated by the will to aid. Perhaps this is true of his excellent Narration of the Brazilian coffee routes, which was incidentally sponsored by Illy.

What did his End of Polio portfolio really do? The campaign to eradicate Polio by the end of last year was executed by aid workers around the world. The photographer mearly witnessed it and through his fame for this kind of work was able to give it a wider audience. Don't know how much he actually aided the eradication of polio though.

I don't mean to be disparaging in any way. Merely making the point that "if you photograph a displaced person when you have a good and widely regarded reputation it's aid but if you photograph the same when you don't it is exploitation" is too black and white for me.

A simple image taken by an amateur photograph that makes an audience see something they wouldn't normally see in their own environment, could be very beneficial.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I refuse to take pictures of mimes or clowns. I just don't want to encourage such behavior.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=Black]Booo ![/color][/size][/font]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Scared the $%@#% out of me!

now I can't sleep...thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How 'bout another marginal dissertation on the ethics of Street Photography? Would that help?
    Last edited by John McCallum; 06-29-2006 at 08:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCallum
    A simple image taken by an amateur photograph that makes an audience see something they wouldn't normally see in their own environment, could be very beneficial.
    I agree. It just shows what an individual can do with such a little personal tool, but they can't be so naive about the effect of the photos being produced with it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sorry to hear NZ has gone all "PC" sad news as I'd like to live there. Is the South island safe from this scourge ?

"Street photography" is not my cup of tea, although record shots, of town centres etc., appeal to me , for the interest would be several years or even decades down the line much as with street shots.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's Ok Peter I believe it is a temporary affliction and mostly confined to the cities, especially Auckland. The South doesn't change much at all (bless 'em). No time for niceties and salt o' this big ol' earth. Great people.

A mother in Alexandra was interviewed on the 6 o'clock news the other night. She'd been without power for 9 nights. The hoar frosts had frozen the pipes, and she was cooking dinner by candle-light on a wood stove for 3 small children. Interviewer observed "your spirits seem to still be up". She just said "yeah, why not?"
    Last edited by John McCallum; 06-30-2006 at 06:56 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: sp/grammar the usual

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And I am waiting answer to same question Roger asked. Me too, I am really puzzled: Why not?
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I once asked a group of bicycle cops if I could shoot them. Based on their collective reaction I quickly re-worded my request to "May I take your picture". I usually avoid them so as not to appear I am interfering with them. We have had a few cases up here where photographers were roughed up and some had equipment damaged by police.

Bob
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin