Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,597   Online: 706

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Shooter
    Large Format
    in the world of historic preservation and historical archaeology cars and street furniture ( telephone poles, trash cans, benches mail boxes &C ) tend to be stuffed in the box of thing called "material culture" ... the way archaeologists decipher what civilizations were ( or are ) like is through their "stuff" ... plenty of archaeologists dig through trash pits, cellars, and junque left behind to "learn" about who left them behind.

whether we like it or not, cars are unfortunately part of modern culture ... and by including them as well as all the other things that clutter where we live ( garbage cans, dumpsters, street furniture, power lines, hideous architecture and other stuff i am too tired to suggest ) it gives us a clue as to who we may be. i don't mean to say that all this stuff "defines" us, but it can offer-up a piece to the puzzle

Shooter
    35mm
    See the second row in the middle.
    http://www.leica-r.com/portrait_LS1.html

Daniel OB
    www.Leica-R.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I just stumbled on this thread...

How do I get rid of modern cars when doing street photography? Simple.

First, I use an 8x10 camera.

Second, I photograph early Sunday mornings.

Third, I photograph in the fifth largest city in the US... Phoenix.

Coming from the NJ/NY area I have to tell you I love it here... it's a virtual ghost town early Sunday mornings! I have to wait for people to enter the shot (if I want them). I don't usually have to worry about cars, though. I actually did a modern day "Meudon" (by Kertezs) a few weeks ago. I actually had my tripod on (in a traffic lane) Central Ave. in Phoenix. Caught an airliner in between two skyscrapers (at least what they call a skyscraper here) and two elderly people crossing in the middle of the street at the same time. Then I turned the camera 180 degrees and got a shot looking north, including the historic San Carlos and Westward Ho hotels. The only person in the photo was a homeless guy looking into a jewelry store window. There were more people inside the Starbucks behind me than there were on the streets of the 5th largest...
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It depends where I am if I find cars and what sort of photo I am taking, am I trying to take a picture of street life or arcitecture, I think there are tricks that allow you to dodge cars, such as clever use of telephotos or UWA lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rcoda View Post
    I just stumbled on this thread...
    Me too
    It is amazing to me how many good threads are hidden here, always something new on this apug ...

I just look for spots without cars, I hate them in my photos (there is some exceptions, of course).

Shooter
    Large Format
    i try to shoot below 30th of a second all the time.
    they just become a textural element.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you had a manual focus camera and focus on a car would that become a auto focus camera?

Jeff

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin