Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,171   Online: 971

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Anupam, you should open a gallery in Toronto. Nice work.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well...Full-frame digital pretty much offers the same resolution as 35mm film, because lenses are so limiting.

Digital has noise...Film has grain. Which looks better?

I only shoot 35mm film because of the way it looks. Not because it is better or worse than digital. (And full-frame bodies start at $2k.)

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm a bit surprised "street" as we know it gets shown in Canada at all now. In Manitoba and Quebec (at least) you can *take* pictures of people in public places but showing them or selling prints requires the explicit consent of anyone identifiable in the picture (the Manitoba privacy legislation uses the slightly ambiguous phrase "for gain" as a determinant, which I'm assuming includes financial gain of any sort).

I would expect other provinces to follow suit in the not-too-distant future.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thus no photos by Cartier Bresson will be shown in Canada any longer?

Shooter
    35mm
    I should have specified "local street"

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Any chance he has a website? Did you google him? If he has a website I'd like to see the photos.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mabman View Post
    I'm a bit surprised "street" as we know it gets shown in Canada at all now. In Manitoba and Quebec (at least) you can *take* pictures of people in public places but showing them or selling prints requires the explicit consent of anyone identifiable in the picture (the Manitoba privacy legislation uses the slightly ambiguous phrase "for gain" as a determinant, which I'm assuming includes financial gain of any sort).

I would expect other provinces to follow suit in the not-too-distant future.
    Hi,

I live in Quebec, and from what I know, the law is more specific (remeber we are not on canadian common law). Actually, you don't have the right to sell or publish a picture of a person if the image can cause harm to his/her reputation. Otherwise, a person in a public place is not protected from photographers...

Here how this law become true: a couple years ago, a newspaper «La Presse» was doing a study about obesity. A photographer took a picture or a rather big woman eating a hamburger on the street. However, the women complaned because a lot of persons were making fun of her after seeing the pricture. She went in court and won.

I don't know about Manitoba, but, if I am not wrong, it is ok in Quebec to show or sell street photo if the pics cannot cause harm.

Kris

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kristopher_lawrence View Post
    Hi,

I live in Quebec, and from what I know, the law is more specific (remeber we are not on canadian common law). Actually, you don't have the right to sell or publish a picture of a person if the image can cause harm to his/her reputation. Otherwise, a person in a public place is not protected from photographers...

Here how this law become true: a couple years ago, a newspaper «La Presse» was doing a study about obesity. A photographer took a picture or a rather big woman eating a hamburger on the street. However, the women complaned because a lot of persons were making fun of her after seeing the pricture. She went in court and won.

I don't know about Manitoba, but, if I am not wrong, it is ok in Quebec to show or sell street photo if the pics cannot cause harm.

Kris
    I can't find a reference to anything by La Presse, but the case I'm thinking of was about photographer Gilles Duclos in the late 1990's. From the Supreme Court's ruling: "The right to one’s image is an element of the right to privacy under s. 5 of the Quebec Charter. If the purpose of the right to privacy is to protect a sphere of individual autonomy, it must include the ability to control the use made of one’s image. There is an infringement of a person’s right to his or her image and, therefore, fault as soon as the image is published without consent and enables the person to be identified."

So, it's the court's opinion (majority decision) that Quebec's law governing the right to privacy includes the right to "control the use made of one's image" in general, no indication of whether harm was done or not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The best zoom to use for street photography is your feet. I would say that guy uses a 200mm because he doesn't really have the 'nads for real street photography.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm with Andy on that. I think one of the things that mitigates the intrusiveness of street shooting when you are using something wide is the fact that you are right there and people can see what you are up to and can react as they see fit. You are part of the whole mix too. Standing across the street with a tele? That seems creepy. But whatever, shoot with any lens that gets you what you are after, there are no rules you have to follow in that regard. Oh, and Canon zooms do not equal Leica primes and digital b&w is not the same as film b&w. But who cares, it's totally irrelevant to making art.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin