Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,988   Posts: 1,524,058   Online: 1002

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mabman View Post
    I can't find a reference to anything by La Presse, but the case I'm thinking of was about photographer Gilles Duclos in the late 1990's. From the Supreme Court's ruling: "The right to one’s image is an element of the right to privacy under s. 5 of the Quebec Charter. If the purpose of the right to privacy is to protect a sphere of individual autonomy, it must include the ability to control the use made of one’s image. There is an infringement of a person’s right to his or her image and, therefore, fault as soon as the image is published without consent and enables the person to be identified."

So, it's the court's opinion (majority decision) that Quebec's law governing the right to privacy includes the right to "control the use made of one's image" in general, no indication of whether harm was done or not.
    Humm I didn't knew about this ruling. However, the La Presse affair is much more recent 2001 or 2002 I can't remember. Well, I think that it is a tricky legislation, since it won't be necessarely applied in all cases. Remember the Robert Doisenau affair in the '90 in France. There was a suit, even if legislation was not clear about the fact. I think we should simply continue to take picture of whatever we want and deal with issues later, and I doubt there will be any in most cases. After all, any criminal or suspect having its picture taken in Quebec by photojournalist could sue... and I don't think its happen very often.

Well, thanks for the precision!

Kris

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    The best zoom to use for street photography is your feet. I would say that guy uses a 200mm because he doesn't really have the 'nads for real street photography.
    Yeah. I want a 17-40 F4 zoom for street. I was shooting street that day with my 35mm.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, personally a 135, 200, and 300 f/4 are some of my favorite street and candid photography lenses.

But the guy in the gallery was still full of $hit.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 08-04-2008 at 06:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    I went to a gallery in Torontos distillery district today.

Very cool.

I saw some street done with just a tele 200mm lens.

Very interesting.

I spoke to the photographer, and he said that a wide limits you in street photos.

Limits are set by the photographer, not equipment, but I understand what he meant.

He also said that Canon zooms are as good quality as Leica primes.

There is a bridge for sale here.

He also said that digi black and white is the same as film black and white.

I can't believe this.

That's a load of crap. (with frosting, and a cherry)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What Jay said.

You need to start having your own opinion about things, Marco, and not using other people's opinions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    I went to a gallery in Torontos distillery district today. I saw some street done with just a tele 200mm lens. I spoke to the photographer, and he said that a wide limits you in street photos. He also said that Canon zooms are as good quality as Leica primes. He also said that digi black and white is the same as film black and white.

I can't believe this.
    Me neither. Question is, how the images were?... did he sell?... 200 mm for street shooting? bull****... As Robert Capa said, if your photos aren't good is because you aren't close enough.
    Jose A. Martinez

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thats what I told him! Apparently he also shoots street with a 100-400 zoom.

Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    Apparently he also shoots street with a 100-400 zoom.

Apart from the issue of engaging your subject etc, a long lens will affect perspective severely. It might be useful for picking off people from the distance like a sniper but it will result in severely compressed backgrounds. Might be good for candid portraiture but I don't regard that as street photography really. If I shoot portraits on the street I want them to be environmental portraits, people interacting with their surroundings, with each other and, on occasion, with the camera.

This shot I almost consider to be a portrait on the streets - 21mm - I was barely 4feet away:

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Funny I have been doing all my (attempts at) Street Photography with a 50mm lens and have been pondering moving up to 85mm or 135mm and seeing how that works. I tend to prefer a fixed lens, somehow the zoom gives me too much fiddle time and whatever shot I thought I saw is gone in the flow of the crowd.

I always aim for 5 foot away (with the 50mm lens) from the individual who catchs my eye and I am often caught due to the proximity. (Aside: My height doesn't help either I fear at 6'6'' but that is another thread about leprecauns are the optimum height for Street Photography)

Anyway, I'm hoping being 10- 14 feet away will make those instances of being caught less frequent.

The main thing is though as I stumble blindly on in this journey is getting a good shot is still such a buzz and long may that continue.
    Simplicius

"defying gravity since 1898"

My Flickr Account

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Simplicius, I'm actually going the other way with street photography. I started out with a 50mm, then 35/40mm.. now I'm really craving a 28mm!

We'll see how that works out. I'm also vertically gifted at 6'7" I haven't noticed any problem with that style of shooting so far, though. Maybe I'm just used to people gawking at me!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin