Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,483   Online: 934

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Alisha,
    I've been taking photo's for many years now but have only recently started to get into street photography. I'm quite shy by nature, so found myself missing opportunities because I was too embarrased to put the camera to my eye and take the photo. But I'm a lot more confident now (not 100% - probably about 75%) and this is due to taking photo's of people during festivals etc. I work in Edinburgh (that's Scotland in case there are any other Edinburgh's out there ) and festival time is almost upon us. In August/September the Royal Mile is blocked off for traffic and the place is alive with street performers, tourists, workers and weirdos! Nobody bats an eyelid at someone with a camera and it did wonders for my confidence. You must have similar things happening in California.
    If you want to check out some excellent recent street photography from a variety of photographers then have a look at in-public

Good luck
    Simon

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Good people to practice on are those who hand out leaflets on the streets. They give you a leaflet, you take a picture.

I did my first non-candid shots of people on the street today.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sar-photo View Post
    But I'm a lot more confident now (not 100% - probably about 75%) and this is due to taking photo's of people during festivals etc. I work in Edinburgh (that's Scotland in case there are any other Edinburgh's out there ) and festival time is almost upon us. In August/September the Royal Mile is blocked off for traffic and the place is alive with street performers, tourists, workers and weirdos! Nobody bats an eyelid at someone with a camera and it did wonders for my confidence.
    I think this is great advice and I have started doing this too. It's a lot easier to take these sort of pictures at some sort of "event" and by doing so I think you are going to develop more technique and more confidence. In fact, I seem to remember reading about how Joel Meyerowitz started by doing exactly this as well .....
    I have a photo blog ... and a Flickr ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was doing some street photography the other day. I was taking pictures of some homeless people, some of them look better than me!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you see it, take it...far better to ask forgiveness than permission (you can always say sorry)...and anyway..permission tends to ruin the photo. If I am seen (and that is rarely, becasue you learn to work fast), then a smile does wonders. K
    Kal Khogali

www.kal-khogali.com

Visit my Photo Scrap Book

www.shutteringeye.wordpress.com

"Wake up, dream, and photograph what you have seen.
    Don't wake up, photograph, and dream of what could have been."

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I don't like the whole sneak around stealing pictures of people thing. I hate having people photograph me and I go by the old "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" bit. I think street photographers should be open and honest and if someone doesn't want to be photographed then they should be able to keep their privacy. I love photographing people at weddings because they expect me to photograph them and they realize the value of documentation of the event. Otherwise when I photograph in the street I shoot things with no people.
    Dennis

Shooter
    35mm
    The advice about festivals is right on. Also parades are very good (not the parade itself but the activity just prior to the start or just at the finish). Sometimes the persons watching the event are more interesting than the event itself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    I don't like the whole sneak around stealing pictures of people thing. I hate having people photograph me and I go by the old "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" bit. I think street photographers should be open and honest and if someone doesn't want to be photographed then they should be able to keep their privacy. I love photographing people at weddings because they expect me to photograph them and they realize the value of documentation of the event. Otherwise when I photograph in the street I shoot things with no people.
    Dennis
    Interesting viewpoint. When you step outside your castle and enter a public place, say a sidewalk, others can see you. They are not stealing looks, are they? Candid photography is just a extension of this. Only if they use pictures for commercial purposes (other than news event) would this be possibility considered stealing.

Nowadays, when a person goes to a bank, Walmart, down some streets, they are being video taped so if its bothersome for some, where a disguise or stay home. Not trying to be antagonistic, just realistic.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Start getting ready for it. Tell yourself you have a homework to do, so be businesslike about it. Take a 35 or 50 mm with some fast film (Tri-X@800 is a good start), set your lens on f8 and the distance to where you would normally need to focus. Be on a lookout, be fast, avoid looking people in their eyes after you shoot, just lower the camera and walk on looking for another subject. If this should be too difficult at first, get yourself a wide angle 21 to 28mm, zone focus it and shoot from the hip or from an extended arm, but with you head turned away. Have fun...
    here's a couple of stolen shots with focusing:
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2407/...a844d95c_b.jpg
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/5917703...7602535394830/

here a couple prefocused but framed through the viewfinder:
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2417/...0dc67bb0_b.jpg
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3144/...d6563483_b.jpg

and here a couple zone focused and shot while looking away:
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2134/...f1bea5c8_b.jpg
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1337/...ed5aa8fc_b.jpg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey take586, very cool.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin