Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,519   Posts: 1,543,779   Online: 846

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Not a guide to street photography

At the request of others I tried to write a "how to" for street photography and discovered that I really couldn't.

The finished article is here.

Constructive comments are always appreciated.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    From your article: "Practice until it becomes natural, like breathing. You breathe, don't you?"

I do normally but I have noticed that I subconciously stop breathing as I take the picture.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    From your article: "Practice until it becomes natural, like breathing. You breathe, don't you?"

I do normally but I have noticed that I subconciously stop breathing as I take the picture.

Steve.
    LOL

I hope you're not shooting large format, then

Shooter
    35mm
    remember to breathe... LOL
    Flickr
    Multiply
    My PhotoBlog
    My Twitter!

WTB: Konica Autoreflex T3 and AR lenses

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianPhotog View Post
    LOL

I hope you're not shooting large format, then
    The non-breathing is only for the shutter pressing bit.

But I did notice that I did it even if the camera was on a tripod!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Brian,

Thank you for the great article. As you can see from my avatar street photography is rather new to me. I enjoyed and learned from your article, but would like more. You said, “… I know and use the technical aspects of the medium, which are well known and I won't go into here.” I would like to go into them.

I have just finished “Henri Cartier-Bresson, a Biography” by Pierre Assouline. I read it because I like HCB’s composition and wanted to learn more for my LF work. Now I find that I am interested in learning more about the whole genre called Street Photography. Can you or others direct me to sources?

Thank you,

John Powers

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Brian,

Thank you for the great article. As you can see from my avatar street photography is rather new to me. I enjoyed and learned from your article, but would like more. You said, “… I know and use the technical aspects of the medium, which are well known and I won't go into here.” I would like to go into them.

I have just finished “Henri Cartier-Bresson, a Biography” by Pierre Assouline. I read it because I like HCB’s composition and wanted to learn more for my LF work. Now I find that I am interested in learning more about the whole genre called Street Photography. Can you or others direct me to sources?

Thank you,

John Powers
    I'm glad that you enjoyed the article and that it helped you. By "technical aspects", I meant things that apply to photography in general...like average exposure, using the aperture to control DOF, shutter speed to control motion & sharpness, etc... .

I am working on a couple of articles about composition...the things I look for in a scene. You can register at the uCVc or subscribe to the RSS feed of my blog (I will publish the articles in both places) to be notified when I post them.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have registered. Thank you.
    Any other sources from you or others would be appreciated.

John

Shooter
    35mm
    hi john.. this maybe a little off, but after reading it, it inspired me.. try it.. by chris weeks...

click here

its in pdf format.. you have to download it.. its a nice read...
    Flickr
    Multiply
    My PhotoBlog
    My Twitter!

WTB: Konica Autoreflex T3 and AR lenses

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianPhotog View Post
    I am working on a couple of articles about composition...the things I look for in a scene. You can register at the uCVc or subscribe to the RSS feed of my blog (I will publish the articles in both places) to be notified when I post them.
    Subscribed.
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin