Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,873   Posts: 1,520,135   Online: 889

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    35mm.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My two favorites are currently my M Leicas and my Rollei TLR. Both are silent and can be shot from the hip. Years ago, I used to have a Linhof 220 camera that took 6x7 negs. It was also great for quick street shots, especially if you like the vertical format.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've used a Crown Graphic for street photography. But I've used 35mm and MF, too. Depends on what I'm after.

phc
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    The best format for street photography is the one that works best for you, to get the results you want. If you want sharpness at large print sizes then I guess you'll be looking at MF. A lot of people have done great street work with TLRs.

Find out what works for you. Cheers, Paul.
    paulhardycarter.com <<< Pictures and blog.
    twitter <<< My twitter feed.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I'd definitely start w 35mm and a wide-ish lens, burn lots of small film, see how you like the whole experience of street photography. I just recently got the bug (again), put up some of my older street work on my blog, stop by.

Shooter
    35mm
    Say what you will, but I've actually had good luck using the Kiev 88 and Arsat 80mm. It seems that people aren't as weary around it for some reason and actually take interest in it. As a bonus the Arsat lens can be set to hyperfocal. Plus it was cheap enough that I don't have to be worried as I would be for carrying a more expensive camera around.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would suggest Fujifilm GA645. It is much cheaper than a Leica, but the image quality is fantastic. The GA645 is an medium format equivalent of Konica Hexar 35. Very easy to use, great autofocus, lots of manual overrides. The only negative is that it is louder than a Leica, but this should not be a problem for city street shooting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A modern Mamiya 6 or 7 is a great street camera. Large negs, QUIET as a leica shutter, decent metering, Rangefinder focusing. Capability of 220 film too allowing more shooting before reloading. Handles like a big 35mm SLR.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Go with whatever camera(s) you are most comfortable with.
    I have thousands of "street" images in my files, most of which are tack sharp and very enlargable (I cull my files every few years and fuzzy generally goes to the trash), all shot on 35mm. An amazing amount of those on Kodachrome.
    I use Nikons exclusively, not because they are any better than any other brand but because I've been shooting them on a daily basis since the 1980s and I can literally run them blindfolded in the dark.
    BTW, an F4 or F5 with a 20, 24, or 28mm AF lens and the prism housing removed - allowing waist level operation - is a very discreet tool for crowded street situations.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by phc View Post
    The best format for street photography is the one that works best for you, to get the results you want.
    Well said, there is not THE camera for street shooting. Some people prefer rangefinders, other P&S, others medium format, others SRS with long tele lens or ultra wide angles, my advice is take whatever camera and lens you are so comfortable to use that you can use it in the dark and put some film trough it while walking around your town. Then evaluate the results and see if you need to change something.
    Besides, my favorite street camera was the Yashica T4, just replaced with a Nikon 35TI, both loaded with 400 ISO B&W film or 200 ISO slide film.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin