Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,495   Posts: 1,543,022   Online: 797

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you have to ask...

Anyways, short and simple: 35mm / 135 film.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In my limited experience in street photograpy, I found that my Rollei TLR was the best for me.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Anyone have used old Hasselblads in streets or are they too "look my pro camera" type of cameras?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Pinhole, no-one ever notices you sitting there with a small wooden box next to you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    35mm is the out and out winner for street work IMHO. Technically less perfect than bigger formats but tonnes more good shots grabbed because it is smaller, faster, has more DOF, fewer film changes etc.

35mm can be effectively grain free at 20x16. Try any modern 100 speed film (Delta 100, Tmax 100, Acros etc) in dilute Xtol. D100 is great with xtol 1+1 and you will find grain only on inspection. Who cares though? I love some crisp grain with my street work and prefer films with more grain and grit.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep grain is life. A good portion of the grain-whiners have already gone digital anyways.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    For my street-shooting I use one of my Nikon F3HP cameras, (with MD-4 motordrive). I generally use my Nikkor ED 180mm lens when I want to be "sneeky", or my Nikkor 35mm f/2.8 lens when I want to include the surroundings. My "walk-about" lens is a very nice Tokina AT-X 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 lens. Sometimes I even plug my waist-level finder onto my F3, and pretend to be just "foolin'-around" with my camera, in-order to get people's "guard" down.
    Dann Fassnacht
    Aberdeen, WA USA

glockman99@hotmail.com
    -------------------------------------
    My film cameras are all Nikons: F3HP, F4s, N90s, N8008, N8008s.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnick View Post
    Anyone have used old Hasselblads in streets or are they too "look my pro camera" type of cameras?
    Actually, it's not so much the look of the camera as it is the "Ka-THWUNK" of the mirror and body doors popping open and closed on the Hassy that kills it for street photography. You may get your first shot if nobody is aware of you, but you'll not get a second.

I was amazed at the rangefinder phenomenon - how people really do seem to ignore rangefinders but get all freaked about SLRs. I haven't really tried my Rolleiflex TLR for that kind of work yet, so I can't say how much better it would be than a 35mm rangefinder, but I've expanded my Contax G system inventory for travel, I like it so much, and that's coming from someone who thinks of a 4x5 as a point-n-shoot.

Shooter
    35mm
    For me, the absolute best camera for street photography is the Konica Hexar AF. It is no bigger than a Leica and it is about as quiet. In "Stealth mode." it is even quieter. It is very fast with a 35mm f2 lens that rivals the best lenses ever made. My street photography has become more "street" using this camera.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Honestly, The Yashica GSN is a great street shooter. 40mm lens and F1.7 The "Poor man's" Hexar..........

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin