Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,931   Posts: 1,585,445   Online: 1065

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Sub 35mm

I dedicated blog for this topic

I've found this forum by accident. Opinions expressed here are extremely interesting.
    I’ve just started blog (Candid Street Photo) that is almost solely dedicated to this topic.

Greg Yarmit
    www.candidstreetphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To talk about "Rules" of street photography as like talking about the "Rules" for pickpockets, the only rule is don't get caught, because once your subject is aware of your presence and start posing you've blown it.
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    I quite like Streuli's photos. They lie somewhere between the typological (think bechers) and the iconic. To compare Streuli to a "street" photographer like Frank, Winogrand, Friedlander etc. could be an interesting exercise in understanding how differences in artistic strategies shape not only the individual's work but that aspect of "modernity" or timeliness intrinsic to it. But to judge Streuli's work solely on the tenets of a mode of photography whose period of relevance ended thirty years ago is an exercise in futility.

Shooter
    35mm
    Struelli's photos all look as if they were shot from far off, using a tele lens. Everything looks kind of flat.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As a matter of interest the work of Struelli is included in an exhibition "The Adventure of Reality" at the Kunsthall in Rotterdam (Netherlands)!
    Regards
    Charles

Shooter
    35mm
    These are not street photography just as shooting a cat off your back fence is not hunting and 2minute noodles is not cooking. What saddened me were the portraits, a terrific opportunity wasted, they conveyed nothing of the subject and even in terms of a style, none was evident. I can still love images that can be regarded as clinical but these were not even that. I searched the site for any reference to street and I'm pleased to report that the site made no such reference.

But its all OK, panic is over ...they are not street photographs. OP you said you don't do street photography I believe you ...
    Last edited by oneANT; 01-11-2011 at 01:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarter View Post
    This 'ball' your talking about, can I purchase them online?
    They are found in the drug and alcohol departments.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Harrison View Post
    This person puts as many things between himself and his subject, as she/he can.... Both distance and physical barriers. Needs to come out of closet. Probably too threatened and as a result, threatening to others stalking them... If possible, a warm smile and relaxed attitude will break the ice and open up a whole world of possibility, perhaps begin with a med. tele., then normal, yes, then even wide angle. Direct experience mixed with a compassionate attitude. The child in the "big truck" is cute. Bill
    Early on, I would shy away from getting "too close" to people. Now if I have a main subject(s) in my frame, my goal is to get close enough to them so that they occupy 1/3 to 1/2 of the frame (with a 28mm lens).

The more you make yourself move out of your comfort zone and get closer to people when doing street photography, the sooner you will get past your nerves and become comfortable getting close to your subjects - and the sooner you will start to create rewarding images.

Anyone can make street photos from a "safe" distance - and they will end up with mundane images with no clear subject and no visual impact. Commit to getting close and overcoming your nerves - the rewards are well worth the effort.
    "My idea of a good life is that I wake up in the morning, go out and look around and make four rolls of film a day." - Josef Koudelka

"There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are." - Ernst Haas

"Nothing happens when you sit at home. I always make it a point to carry a camera with me at all times…I just shoot at what interests me at that moment." – Elliott Erwitt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lensworker View Post
    Early on, I would shy away from getting "too close" to people. Now if I have a main subject(s) in my frame, my goal is to get close enough to them so that they occupy 1/3 to 1/2 of the frame (with a 28mm lens).

The more you make yourself move out of your comfort zone and get closer to people when doing street photography, the sooner you will get past your nerves and become comfortable getting close to your subjects - and the sooner you will start to create rewarding images.

Anyone can make street photos from a "safe" distance - and they will end up with mundane images with no clear subject and no visual impact. Commit to getting close and overcoming your nerves - the rewards are well worth the effort.
    I agree to getting up close and personal, generally people are open to interaction even in public spaces and barriers are often of our own making, though naturally there are boundaries and respect for "our subject".
    Regards
    Charles

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin