Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,436   Online: 811

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

Opinion on different rules of street photography.

Hi guys, just discovered the forum. I don't do street photography and I rarely use my old Kodak film camera. However, I have been interested in Street/documentary photography for a long time and have been reading tons of biography and photo books at the library.

Recently, I have discovered Beat Struelli website.
    http://www.beatstreuli.com/

Suprised that his name wasnt on site such as InPublic.
    His photo really intrigues me as he has different mindset from the conventional street photography. He employs telephoto lens to isolate himself from the subject and thus making the viewpoint on the subject itself rather than the enviroment. I would assume that he doesnt intend to include narrative view, but rather to express abstract differences between people based on skin colour, clothing and races. I suspect that there would be alot of eyebrow raised here:rolleyes:.

I am no photography critic though, and I have mixed feeling about his pictures. BUT, I am glad to see someone who doesnt adher to specific rule and make photo according to personal technique. I would like to see what do you guys think of him.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm not too impressed with his style or photos but they are interesting enough for a long night like this...

Thanks for sharing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cant seem to find any sort of social message there. Looks as though someone gave him some film to burn, lacks any impact, basically, ho-hum.

Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The photos are OK, but not great. BTW welcome to APUG! Thanks for the info anyway.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Not my sort of thing, but that doesn't mean others may not like them!

John

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yeah they are interesting, not sure how much I would look through his picture if I had a book, everything think you want to see and look into is there, the enviroment is something that really adds to street shots, one person reactions to it, there is none of that in the photos, but maybe that is not the point.

Paul

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Wow, thanks for the replies.

I have to agree that not all of his images are 'soul' moving. Perhaps his goal and vision are different from normal street shooters.

The reason I really connect to him is because I use to employ his technique using my Sony DSLR. I quickly notice that it is hard to focus quickly to your subject and putting the camera viewfinder to your eye for too long might attract attention. I tried with a 35mm lens and soon found out that I wasnt cut out for it. Too much of an introvert and shyness to actually get close to the subject with a camera.

Beat Strueli does seem to have a knack of picking individuals that I can see. I wonder if any of the muslim he photographes ever caught and confronted him. I personally know the muslim community and they are quite sensitive about being photographed.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggysk8 View Post
    Yeah they are interesting, not sure how much I would look through his picture if I had a book, everything think you want to see and look into is there, the enviroment is something that really adds to street shots, one person reactions to it, there is none of that in the photos, but maybe that is not the point.

Paul
    Actually he had several books published. I have lbrowsed through some of them especially the one which features New York street photos. He does projects in couple of countries like Shang Hai and Paris I think.

Shooter
    35mm

Beat

This person puts as many things between himself and his subject, as she/he can.... Both distance and physical barriers. Needs to come out of closet. Probably too threatened and as a result, threatening to others stalking them... If possible, a warm smile and relaxed attitude will break the ice and open up a whole world of possibility, perhaps begin with a med. tele., then normal, yes, then even wide angle. Direct experience mixed with a compassionate attitude. The child in the "big truck" is cute. Bill
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Does the use of telephoto eliminates the empathy towards the subject or is it the other way around? Strueli's work i suspect was more about potraits of peole on the street rather then documenting street life.

Anyway, thats why I stick to urban landscape. Set a tripod up and it doesnt matter if someone comes into the frame of the landscape or individual structure. I do take photographs of massess rather than single individual.

I am lazy and a coward bastard, I know

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin