Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,101   Posts: 1,636,444   Online: 994

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6101112131415161718 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    There's a lot of talk about how French law regarding photography would differ from what is in place in the rest of the world. When somebody happens to actually cite a norm, it turns out that it is just like exactly in the rest of the world.
    Possibly it does match up against the same laws in other countries, undoubtedly, I never opposed that in my post.

For more details see here:

http://translate.google.com/translat...%3Fid_fic%3D18

Regarding your Eiffel photos:

"According to the Civil Code, only the owner has the right to use his property in any form whatsoever. However, after many trials abusive jurisprudence believes that "the ownership of a property situated in the public domain and exposed to the view of all does not authorize the holder to oppose the exploitation of image of the property, but can only act against abuse and damaging the image. "
    Last edited by Felinik; 08-20-2012 at 07:58 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Felinik View Post
    Regarding your Eiffel photos:

"According to the Civil Code, only the owner has the right to use his property in any form whatsoever. However, after many trials abusive jurisprudence believes that "the ownership of a property situated in the public domain and exposed to the view of all does not authorize the holder to oppose the exploitation of image of the property, but can only act against abuse and damaging the image. "
    When I take a picture of the Eiffel tower I dont "use" it in any way. I am taking a picture of it. The Eiffel tower might well be in "private property". It would be possible to create some form of entity, "Tour Eiffel Trust", to endow it with the property of the land it stays on, and then to claim that it cannot be photographed without authorization, but it wouldn't work in preventing me from taking pictures and selling them.

I can actually take a picture of any private house from the public land, whether or not the house itself sits on private ground or public, and make most any use I like of it, excluding commercial use and derogatory use.

Actually this operation (creating a Trust etc.) was made with the Tour Eiffel and the Tour Eiffel "Trust" does not even try to ask payments for pictures taken during the day - which they would if the Civil Code said what the quotation above says - they only try to extract payments for pictures at night.

Regarding the Tour Eiffel, the myth actually is that it cannot be photographed by night, because the light scheme is copyrighted. The myth was spread by the Tour Eiffel "Trust" which so claims in its web site. So what? Every building design is "copyrighted" by default as soon as it is born on paper. I cannot copy it (I cannot build an identical building without the architect's consent) but I can take pictures of it. Taking pictures is not "copying it" in any way. Neither it is "using it".

Copyrighting a building does not prevent me from photographing it and copyrighting a light scheme of a building does not prevent me from photographing it at night.

@ Felinik, I'm not saying this as if I disagreed with you, I refer in general to the myths regarding France and certain (especially French, but not only French) buildings. The Sidney Opera house being another famous case. If you ask a number of stock photographers you will find that most believe that the Sidney Opera house is "copyrighted" and cannot be photographed.

Apparently people believe this is a privilege granted to only that one Opera house in the planet... or maybe they believe that in Sidney they are smart people while in the rest of the world people is dumb and don't copyright buildings.
    Last edited by Diapositivo; 08-20-2012 at 05:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Usually people seem to don't mind when I take their shot.
    But some people sometimes looks annoyed but they never say anything.
    I never had any problem.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Shoot with a beautiful camera.. ? I go out with my FE or Rollei.. So people are very curious on the camera and come to me. It's a great segway for me to ask to take thier picture. Either a street portrait, or the activity they are engaged in.

Todd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    Shoot with a beautiful camera.. ? I go out with my FE or Rollei.. So people are very curious on the camera and come to me. It's a great segway for me to ask to take thier picture. Either a street portrait, or the activity they are engaged in.

Todd
    Once you "ask their permission to take their picture ", and they start posing it's no longer candid photography but street portraiture.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, an older film camera can be a segue into conversation and more casual shooting.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There are three easy tricks:

(1) Dress plainly (muted colours)
    (2) Limit your movements
    (3) Use a small camera

That is, if you wear bright colours, move around a lot and point a big camera at people, they are sure to notice you. Then you won't get any genuine street shots and you may be confronted.

I use a Minolta Hi-Matic 7sII for street and it is a very discrete and innocous camera. With a very good lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not always.. They continue doing what there doing. I love the sneakyness of candid pics too. Going back to getting pissed off people. I've been approuched by pissed people, but really dont get bothered or attemidated with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Internet has made everyone absolutely terrified of having their photograph made in public. They don't know what's going to be done with it and who's going to see it and what people might think of them. All they know is that it scares them to death, makes them angry, and damn it they're calling the police right now.

Of course, after the police arrive and leave they then spend huge amounts of time pointing their smartphone cameras back at themselves to record selfies about what just happened, then instantly post the resulting pictures all over the Internet for everyone in the world to see. Look at me... look at me...

The irony eludes them completely.

Ken
    "There is very limited audience for the arty stuff, and it is largely comprised of other arty types, most of whom have no money to spend because no one is buying their stuff either. More people bring their emotions to an image than bring their intellect. The former are the folks who have checkbooks because they are engineers, accountants, and bankers—and generally they are engineers, accountants and bankers because they are not artists."

— Amanda Tomlin, Looking Glass Magazine, 2014

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    The Internet has made everyone absolutely terrified of having their photograph made in public. They don't know what's going to be done with it and who's going to see it and what people might think of them. All they know is that it scares them to death, makes them angry, and damn it they're calling the police right now.

Of course, after the police arrive and leave they then spend huge amounts of time pointing their smartphone cameras back at themselves to record selfies about what just happened, then instantly post the resulting pictures all over the Internet for everyone in the world to see. Look at me... look at me...

The irony eludes them completely.

Ken
    I have never been confronted while taking street shots. I have been busted (i.e. noticed) only once or twice, but then all you need to do is smile, thumbs up and move away.

I also went out to do some street shooting wearing a really bright red shirt once. But people were looking at me even before I could raise my camera, so I was dead in the water.

I don't do street portraits, because only genuine, unaware scenes interest me. But some photographers do very good street portraits too, so I don't hate the genre.
    Last edited by Jaf-Photo; 03-14-2014 at 02:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin