Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,908   Posts: 1,556,023   Online: 1176

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7111213141516171819 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    There are three easy tricks:

(1) Dress plainly (muted colours)
    (2) Limit your movements
    (3) Use a small camera

That is, if you wear bright colours, move around a lot and point a big camera at people, they are sure to notice you. Then you won't get any genuine street shots and you may be confronted.

I use a Minolta Hi-Matic 7sII for street and it is a very discrete and innocous camera. With a very good lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not always.. They continue doing what there doing. I love the sneakyness of candid pics too. Going back to getting pissed off people. I've been approuched by pissed people, but really dont get bothered or attemidated with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Internet has made everyone absolutely terrified of having their photograph made in public. They don't know what's going to be done with it and who's going to see it and what people might think of them. All they know is that it scares them to death, makes them angry, and damn it they're calling the police right now.

Of course, after the police arrive and leave they then spend huge amounts of time pointing their smartphone cameras back at themselves to record selfies about what just happened, then instantly post the resulting pictures all over the Internet for everyone in the world to see. Look at me... look at me...

The irony eludes them completely.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    The Internet has made everyone absolutely terrified of having their photograph made in public. They don't know what's going to be done with it and who's going to see it and what people might think of them. All they know is that it scares them to death, makes them angry, and damn it they're calling the police right now.

Of course, after the police arrive and leave they then spend huge amounts of time pointing their smartphone cameras back at themselves to record selfies about what just happened, then instantly post the resulting pictures all over the Internet for everyone in the world to see. Look at me... look at me...

The irony eludes them completely.

Ken
    I have never been confronted while taking street shots. I have been busted (i.e. noticed) only once or twice, but then all you need to do is smile, thumbs up and move away.

I also went out to do some street shooting wearing a really bright red shirt once. But people were looking at me even before I could raise my camera, so I was dead in the water.

I don't do street portraits, because only genuine, unaware scenes interest me. But some photographers do very good street portraits too, so I don't hate the genre.
    Last edited by Jaf-Photo; 03-14-2014 at 02:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Same here-I haven't even been asked ''ITAH''?...
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

I've been trying to work up the cajones to photo unsuspecting strangers, but it's not happening. I can see it working in NYC, but here it just seems incredibly rude and unnecessary. Best I can muster is going to big events / public festivals and practicing getting shots in that way. The only "run-in" I've had was with a busker who wanted a donation first.
    Last edited by ak.5447; 07-09-2014 at 11:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    How to photograph the ocean without the ripples? How to photograph trees without the branches that split in two, one shoot hanging down? Being pissed, noticing, staring, "giving the eye"--all these are part of the subject you propose. Trying to photograph the subject while consciously avoiding these aspects of it would be akin to eugenics--you better have a very lofty cause and a very good argument... And it still wouldn't be right.

If you're shy, look for opportunities when people expect to be photographed--street parties after a sports victory, parades of all sorts, joyous public events, fairs and fiestas. Generally dull and one-sided, they will (if you pay attention) start you up on the path of being what you photograph, not distancing yourself from it. Call it compassion.

Dogs bite those who fear them.
    Last edited by Vilk; 07-09-2014 at 10:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    smile

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ak.5447 View Post
    I've been trying to work up the cajones to photo unsuspecting strangers, but it's not happening. I can see it working in NYC, but here it just seems incredibly rude and unnecessary. Best I can muster is going to big events / public festivals and practicing getting shots in that way. The only "run-in" I've had was with a busker who wanted a donation first.
    If tyou live in a small town, it's probably necessary to start by explaining to people why you are taking photos. Once they feel comfortable withyour camera you can get candid shots. In a small community, it's also reasonable to share your photos with the subjects. Maybe even do a small exhibition?

But street photography is easier than it seems and there's always something interesting to photograph.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I use a Canon Elan7 with a normal sized (35-105) zoom lens on a monopole a lot. I have never been confronted by someone on the street. Part of it is how you move, the clothing you wear and how you move. Also if i go to take a photo and the person shows in some way they don't want to be filmed (move away, turn head, so on) I lift my head and smile and move on.

I never been confronted ever, I was asked if I worked for the newspaper a few times.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin