Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,007   Posts: 1,633,608   Online: 1153

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 71112131415161718 LastLast
    I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Same here-I haven't even been asked ''ITAH''?...
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

I've been trying to work up the cajones to photo unsuspecting strangers, but it's not happening. I can see it working in NYC, but here it just seems incredibly rude and unnecessary. Best I can muster is going to big events / public festivals and practicing getting shots in that way. The only "run-in" I've had was with a busker who wanted a donation first.
    Last edited by ak.5447; 07-09-2014 at 11:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    How to photograph the ocean without the ripples? How to photograph trees without the branches that split in two, one shoot hanging down? Being pissed, noticing, staring, "giving the eye"--all these are part of the subject you propose. Trying to photograph the subject while consciously avoiding these aspects of it would be akin to eugenics--you better have a very lofty cause and a very good argument... And it still wouldn't be right.

If you're shy, look for opportunities when people expect to be photographed--street parties after a sports victory, parades of all sorts, joyous public events, fairs and fiestas. Generally dull and one-sided, they will (if you pay attention) start you up on the path of being what you photograph, not distancing yourself from it. Call it compassion.

Dogs bite those who fear them.
    Last edited by Vilk; 07-09-2014 at 10:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    smile

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ak.5447 View Post
    I've been trying to work up the cajones to photo unsuspecting strangers, but it's not happening. I can see it working in NYC, but here it just seems incredibly rude and unnecessary. Best I can muster is going to big events / public festivals and practicing getting shots in that way. The only "run-in" I've had was with a busker who wanted a donation first.
    If tyou live in a small town, it's probably necessary to start by explaining to people why you are taking photos. Once they feel comfortable withyour camera you can get candid shots. In a small community, it's also reasonable to share your photos with the subjects. Maybe even do a small exhibition?

But street photography is easier than it seems and there's always something interesting to photograph.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I use a Canon Elan7 with a normal sized (35-105) zoom lens on a monopole a lot. I have never been confronted by someone on the street. Part of it is how you move, the clothing you wear and how you move. Also if i go to take a photo and the person shows in some way they don't want to be filmed (move away, turn head, so on) I lift my head and smile and move on.

I never been confronted ever, I was asked if I worked for the newspaper a few times.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    On the other hand sometimes I'm amazed when I shoot street how many people who have noticed me and that I'm photographing them pretend they haven't seen me.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    What is your intention - to take another snapshot without engaging of eating person, struggling old lady, drunk hobo - you are getting what you deserves.
    Or do you want this picture because it feels great? Something special happens, nice light and motion...

If you want portrait of stranger - do not act strange. Take it straight forward. People will show you if it is OK or not.

If you want candid - good candids are those where people are unaware of their picture been taken. Not because you have "blended", but because they are busy with what they are doing.

Camera size - doesn't matter, it only matters for you comfort. Mental and if you want to walk for hours and miles, it is easy with small one. Want it wide? Try those cheap film P&S. They are with 28 and wider lens and many will have flash turn off button.
    Size and color of the camera doesn't help a lot to hide, because it is in your specific motions, even if you are taking it from the hip. It is fun to use old folder or vintage TLR on the street. Good reaction from people. Or how you fiddle with Leica, aperture, shutter speed, focusing, taking light measure. Most of the people will have hard time to believe it is going to work

Old SLR, RF also good. Modern AF SLR with big lenses - different reaction, sometimes.

Dress code, IMO, nice and guffy works better on the street. People see you in advance they are aware and this makes them prepared. You'll see it or you won't see them, because some of them will turn away from camera or leave.
    Just think about it. What will be most likely reaction if you take picture of person who doesn't likes it if you dressed and acting like colorful tourist from sixties with dusty big camera bag or like person who is trying to blend in. Spying person, speechless or loud village idiot. Who is more forgiven?
    my Film Flickr. aslo, using enlarger, in the darkroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're going to piss people off, no way around it. Nobody likes a camera pointed at them, and a lot of people have this completely ignorant and unrealistic idea that they have privacy while in the public view. Without changing the entire world, you can't take pictures of strangers in public without pissing them off every now and then. Instead of worrying about others' reactions, I try to think about why the hell I am even bothering to take the picture in the first place. More than likely a picture of a person who doesn't want to be photographed is something I will never print anyhow, so why bother?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yoo tate my pitcher yoo die..... you DIE!!!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin