Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,072   Posts: 1,611,921   Online: 1215

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 812131415161718
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do a fair amount of Street Photography in NYC ( www.digitalandfilm.com )

My recommendations would be to adapt your style to your subject. Try not to be obvious or obnoxious but *get the shot*!

Some camera's now have almost silent electronic shutters ( Fuji X-30 ) for stealth, and I use an X-Pro 1 from Fuji myself.

You must learn to assimilate and dissolve *into* the area you are working, and know where the light direction is, and at night- if you see a "shadow" under the streetlights generally you can shoot.. around 3200 ISO, but you can shoot. Film is much more of a challenge.. but it's doable. Film backs and two bodies allow fast and faster film, and lenses can be pre-mounted.

YOU HAVE THE RIGHT to shoot in public, but you also must temper that right with common sense, or you will have problems.

Robert Brandoff

"Fauxtographer with a faux sale of a Fauxtoshopped fauxny image."

My man, Drew.

www.digitalandfilm.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Come to think of it, I have suffered more injuries filming in State Parks, falling down embankments, off snow dunes, and have come home frozen or (in summer) covered with mosquito bites with a few ticks thrown in there.

The most problems I have had (shooting street) was one homeless man running down the street yelling "NO.. NO.. No no.. NO!" and a Metro Card that wouldn't work for the subway. Starbucks provides bathroom's and wifi.. not to mention coffee.

If you shoot film, it pays to remember your exposure count.. and then hit Starbucks or a Pub to reload.. and rest.
    Robert Brandoff

"Fauxtographer with a faux sale of a Fauxtoshopped fauxny image."

My man, Drew.

www.digitalandfilm.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Street shooting isn't for shrinking violets if you don't want to risk pissing people off, shoot landscape, or church interiors.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF
    When you push the button it is in the can.
    When they ask you to delete it show the film speed reminder.
    If they say you need to ask permission tell them to phone for a cop.
    If they say it is a prohibited place ask where is the notice.
    If it is a cop show a driving licence.
    Most of our cops pose for tourists!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The style you are going for I think plays just as big of a factor. Eric Kim is contemporary street photographer (shoots film, mostly) and a lot of his stuff is in your face, intrusive street photography. That's his style (or one of them). He's got people yelling at him and flipping him off and they fit right in.

Vivian Maier's street photography has a much more intimate feeling to it, like she personally got to know the people she was about to photograph.

How much do you want to be a fly on the wall and how much do you want to be interacting with the people you're shooting, whether intimately or intrusively?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by horacekenneth View Post
    Eric Kim is contemporary street photographer (shoots film, mostly) and a lot of his stuff is in your face, intrusive street photography. That's his style (or one of them). He's got people yelling at him and flipping him off and they fit right in.
    Just recently I saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gjc7a33ML3U

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post

haha

Shooter
    35mm

Can you....

Can you walk into a crowded room and bedazzle everyone in the place? Clark Gable could, and so could Marilyn Monroe. Marilyn worked her tailfeathers off until she learned how to make love to a camera (and the people around her) and the camera made love back to her. It is something you can learn. And you can learn to be a no-threat with your camera. You just have to work with it. A TLR is helpful. An old folder would be nice. In the 1950s street pros put black tape over the "Leica" on their camera and bought black camera bodies. Pretty soon a lot of folks knew if they saw all that tape and black paint the eyeball behind the camera was a street pro or a wannabe. Then, it didn't work so good anymore. I'd suggest a 50mm or longer lens on a standard 35mm camera. You don't have to get four inches away from them. Perhaps you ARE rude with your wide angle lens. Think about it. The courts are saying these days that upskirt photos are legal so you're going to get more of those weirdos and folks who are going to assume you are a weirdo. You cannot reinvent 1955 on the sidewalks of Nueva Jork. You have to work with reality, whatever that is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    Can you walk into a crowded room and bedazzle everyone in the place? Clark Gable could, and so could Marilyn Monroe. Marilyn worked her tailfeathers off until she learned how to make love to a camera <snip> and the camera made love back to her. It is something you can learn. And you can learn to be a no-threat with your camera. You just have to work with it. A TLR is helpful. An old folder would be nice. In the 1950s street pros put black tape over the "Leica" on their camera and bought black camera bodies. Pretty soon a lot of folks knew if they saw all that tape and black paint the eyeball behind the camera was a street pro or a wannabe. Then, it didn't work so good anymore. I'd suggest a 50mm or longer lens on a standard 35mm camera. You don't have to get four inches away from them. Perhaps you ARE rude with your wide angle lens. Think about it. The courts are saying these days that upskirt photos are legal so you're going to get more of those weirdos and folks who are going to assume you are a weirdo. You cannot reinvent 1955 on the sidewalks of Nueva Jork. You have to work with reality, whatever that is.
    I made love to a favorite camera once. It did nothing but make me feel like a pervert... and it didn't even try to make love back to me. I felt so... used.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    I made love to a favorite camera once. It did nothing but make me feel like a pervert... and it didn't even try to make love back to me. I felt so... used.
    "The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering." - Bruce Lee

"It is better to travel well than to arrive." - Buddha

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 812131415161718

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin