Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,127   Online: 911
      
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 172
  1. #11
    dehk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    W Michigan
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewkirkby View Post
    It depends on what you are trying to capture at the end of the day. Often if you are photographing a split second of expression that can't be duplicated in a posed photo you don't have a choice.

    If you're taking a photo of a bum as you so eloquently put it- speak to them, find out why they are there- connect with your subject and then capture the emotion as you notice it.

    If you are taking pictures of people on the street you are bound to get people fired up. Search YouTube for street shots Bruce Gilden. You will see what I mean.
    Bruce Gilden, That was really interesting. Don't think I'll ever do what he does. I mean being a photographer myself if he come up and does that to me with a flash on the street even myself will punch him in his face, haha... Interesting character.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

  2. #12
    Adam Podstawczyński's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Poland
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by dehk View Post
    Yes i do understand when you say "Random street shooters are perceived as obnoxious and inconsiderate people by most". I guess if i didn't state my point clearly, my point is to capture people naturally without them giving me the cold look. That's why I'm trying to gather thoughts on this subject and maybe able to 'appear' less obnoxious.
    Oh, I see. You mean you want to walk around in the street shooting people and pretending you are not there. The ideal solution would be to have an invisibility cloak, but that's future. More practical solution for today is to disguise as a walking advertisement, make a hole in one or both boards, and stick the lens through the hole.

    I'm being sarcastic only because I don't get the point of photographing people in a way they don't notice you. Golden days of voyeuristic photography are gone, and remember that photography is interaction, not action. You are shooting people, not game.

  3. #13
    dehk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    W Michigan
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Podstawczyński View Post
    Oh, I see. You mean you want to walk around in the street shooting people and pretending you are not there. The ideal solution would be to have an invisibility cloak, but that's future. More practical solution for today is to disguise as a walking advertisement, make a hole in one or both boards, and stick the lens through the hole.

    I'm being sarcastic only because I don't get the point of photographing people in a way they don't notice you. Golden days of voyeuristic photography are gone, and remember that photography is interaction, not action. You are shooting people, not game.

    Got it
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

  4. #14
    Ken Nadvornick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Monroe, WA, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,287
    Images
    48
    You might try this.

    Select a very quiet camera with a wide angle lens. One with a leaf shutter works great. Attach a neck strap to the camera. Set the hyperfocal distance on the lens. Note the minimum distance. Hang the camera around your neck. Attach an air bulb shutter release. Run the air hose behind the camera and under and through your clothing into a jacket or sweater pocket. Set the shutter. Stick your hands into your pockets. Casually walk around in public maintaining at least the noted minimum distance from any potential subjects. When you find something interesting, mentally compose the frame by turning your entire body. Then look away just before you squeeze the bulb. Casually exit the scene and rewind.

    I've done this with both a Canonet QL17 G-III and a Yashica MAT-124G TLR. Both have leaf shutters. Never had a single confrontation as not a single subject was ever aware they had been photographed. Even up close.

    A side benefit of the TLR is that almost every photo has the subject looking directly into the lens. Not because they suspected. Rather because they had never before seen a TLR and were staring at it. Nice.

    Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

    — Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

  5. #15
    Ken Nadvornick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Monroe, WA, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,287
    Images
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Podstawczyński View Post
    I'm being sarcastic only because I don't get the point of photographing people in a way they don't notice you.
    Depends, I suppose. I tend to seek out people who don't know I'm photographing them. I absolutely don't want the individuals to inject my presence into their reactions. That ruins everything for me.

    YMMV, of course.

    This also does place a tremendous ethical responsibility on me to never intentionally depict someone in a bad or compromising context. As a practical matter it also normally precludes obtaining model releases. But I do this only as an avocation, so that doesn't come into play for me.

    Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

    — Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Above the Hills, south of Rome(Italia)
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    178
    Images
    13
    Sometimes i try this.
    I focus a part that is above the subject and start looking at it.
    When the subject looks at my camera undertsands that i want to take a picture to something else.
    Keep your eye attached to the camera; wait the moment your subject is not concentrated on you and fire. It works

  7. #17
    benjiboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    U.K.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Podstawczyński View Post
    Just don't do that. Don't walk around shooting people without asking. Random street shooters are perceived as obnoxious and inconsiderate people by most, and there is a reason to that. If you want to capture their faces looking at yourself this way, go ahead -- why bother not to piss them off?
    If you ask them it's pointless because it's no longer candid the whole point of street shooting is to capture people unaware going about their normal lives, once they notice you and they start posing you've blown it.
    Ben

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    23
    Or just a really long lens?

  9. #19
    Adam Podstawczyński's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Poland
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    If you ask them it's pointless because it's no longer candid the whole point of street shooting is to capture people unaware going about their normal lives, once they notice you and they start posing you've blown it.
    You've blown it, or you've nailed it, depending on what you're after.

  10. #20
    Steve Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ryde, Isle of Wight
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    8,595
    Images
    122
    Try pointing in a different direction and use this: http://www.camerafilters.com/pages/r...glelenses.aspx


    Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin