Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,443   Online: 1080

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Try pointing in a different direction and use this: http://www.camerafilters.com/pages/r...glelenses.aspx

Steve.

Interesting gadget, and cheap. Might have to consider one of those also.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank You Everyone for your help. It was really interesting to read what everyone have to say. And I will to try out you guy's ideas next time stalking the street.
    Last edited by dehk; 09-09-2010 at 05:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    - Derek

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dehk View Post
    Interesting gadget, and cheap. Might have to consider one of those also.
    Interesting or not, you'll probably get yourself in a pretty bad situation if you get caught using it. Most will probably think you're a pervy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anon Ymous View Post
    Interesting or not, you'll probably get yourself in a pretty bad situation if you get caught using it. Most will probably think you're a pervy.
    Right Right, i forgot about that, but its something you gotta have for the hell of it.
    - Derek

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Many ways to avoid pissing people off... use a tlr or any other camera with a wlf (many people won't realize you're shooting even if they are looking right at you).... use a remote trigger... use a long lens and give them more space... or if you're willing to do so and spontaneity etc. isn't an issue, simply ask if they mind.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anon Ymous View Post
    I used one once and got in trouble immediately. Never used it again.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I used one once and got in trouble immediately. Never used it again.

Steve
    You now now i must hear that story! If you would share.
    - Derek

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by neilpcraven View Post
    Or just a really long lens?
    Shooting street with a really long lens is like fishing with a hand grenade
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dehk View Post
    For example if i am going to photograph a bum on the street...
    Maybe a homeless person would object to you taking pictures because you refer to homeless people as "bums."
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 09-10-2010 at 05:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Use a rangefinder with a 50 or 35; especially a black Leica M. It is diminutive, quiet, unassuming and often people do not respond to it in the same way as an SLR with a large lens. A rangefinder is much less recognizable and certainly not as potentially threatening as a big F5 or D700 with 17-55 2.8 mounted. A big professional SLR is INSTANTLY recognizable by most people and looks somewhat more like a CANNON than a camera.

With the right camera and some practice, you can learn to set and pre-focus for an interesting scene or face developing up ahead that you want to catch. It is possible to make one or two exposures very quickly and quietly in this way and when I'm out shooting street, it's very seldom anyone even notices that I just took their photo. If they do, I don't pay any attention to dirty looks. I am always moving along when I'm shooting and if there's any eye contact after the photo, I just give a little smile and a thank-you nod and keep moving. I have never had anyone pursue or yell about it.

I don't think Bruce Gilden's brash and brazen way - if you watched the YouTube video - would fit for most people's style of photography, but I can only speak for myself on that point. Street photography is about being discreet, quiet and going unnoticed by the people you are interested in. Unthreatening body language and movements have as much to do with that as the type of camera you use, but I still think a rangefinder is more suited to street than an SLR.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin