Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,692   Posts: 1,482,413   Online: 685

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    i agree w. jesper... wlf just not as threatening, in fact people see it as a novelty.

the best photo tools are eye contact and a smile - before, or after.

keep shooting

Shooter
    Medium Format
    it is ben... the challenge is all about relating to people...

sometimes you relate before you make the picture, sometimes it has to happen afterwards to maintain the spontaneity/creativity... you have to relate.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    5. There are too many street photographers. Adding to that pile of work is like peeing in the ocean.
    Absolutely. Shoot flowers or buildings instead. No one does that.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Who said" those willing to give up some freedom to gain security deserve neither" and "if the shoe fits" . .. ... well you know what your wearing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just talk to people.

That doesn't mean you have to ask everybody for permission. Just simply chat with people.

Sit on the park bench and talk about baseball or something. Be polite. Be social and engaging. When people are comfortable with you, it isn't uncommon for them to come up and ask for a picture. Once or twice a week, I'll have people come up to me, hand me their digicams and ask me to take their picture. I always oblige. Then, before the scene breaks up, I quickly snap one with my camera, hand them my business card. I tell them to send me an e-mail and I'll send them a picture. Once the ice is broken, I can take almost any picture I want so long as I'm not an a$$hole about it.

The effect sometimes snowballs. When other people see you talking to other people and taking their picture they'll often come up and ask for their picture taken.

If you get yourself a box of Ilford postcard stock, you can mail the pictures you take to the people who want them.
    Use stick-on return address labels with your business logo on them. Postcards make good advertising.
    (If people get sketchy about giving out their home address, tell them it's okay to use a business address.)

Bottom line: Don't be that "creepy guy." Be a nice, sociable and professional photographer. People will treat you accordingly.
    Last edited by Worker 11811; 08-31-2011 at 05:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Check out this japanese guy who shoots street, totally in your face, and walks off. Not my style, but he does get a few images, most are ehhh though imo.

2:32 mark for massive film dump

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For a 35mm camera, Eric sure took a lot of 120 film!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    For a 35mm camera, Eric sure took a lot of 120 film!
    I think he shoots with a mamiya 7ii rangefinder with external flash, not positive though

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    Check out this japanese guy who shoots street, totally in your face, and walks off. Not my style, but he does get a few images, most are ehhh though imo.

2:32 mark for massive film dump

This guy just doesn't do it for me. His work is weak and 'success' ratio is surprisingly low for all the film he goes through. Gawd bless him but I don't get that approach...Bruce Gilden did this first and did it better.

Best advice I read here is from JimO --

.. the challenge is all about relating to people...

sometimes you relate before you make the picture, sometimes it has to happen afterwards to maintain the spontaneity/creativity... you have to relate.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't read past the first few posts, but whoever suggested the 'Street Shots' video with Bruce whoever..... THANK YOU! I am LOVING all the street shots episodes that WYNC broadcasts.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin